Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutone Intercom Transformer

Nutone Intercom Transformer

I need a transformer for Nutone Intercom Model 2090-B. Part number for transformer is 40614-000 (nutone number)
    Transformer is 120AC 20VA 30 Volts. I can't find anything over 24 volts from local electrical supply houses. I can purchase from from Nutone for $68.00 plus shipping/handling which is too much for me. I forgot to mention this intercom is 30 years old. Sure would appreciate any assistance in locating one at a more reasonable price. Thanks

Re: Nutone Intercom Transformer

Hi
    have you tried 24 volts, it just might work. If its used in the power supply. I have tons of electronic equipment and parts If you can give me more info on what the transformer is being used for I will look around if I can find something I will give it to you.

charlie

Hi Charlie, Thanks for your response. This for a Nutone Intercom with am/fm radio with six remote speakers/monitors. The transformer is mounted on circuit box/panel and is for 120ac primary to 30 volts secondary with 20Va rating. Per Nutone techinal services a 24 volt will not work.The nutone part number on the transformer is 40614-000 but I've been advised that any 120ac 30 volt 20Va will work. It doesn't have to be Nutone especially for that price.This is about all of the info I have. Thanks Again

Surplus Center has a 30V Transformer for $2.99. Little bit [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] heavier output (1.5 amp). Might have to mount the transformer distant to the unit and run wire to the intercom.

Thanks DocHeb, I really don't understand the 20Va part of the transformer. The old transformer is mounted on side of circuit panel box in basement with wire running upstairs to intercom master station. I just don't know how to compare 20Va vs 1.5 amp. Other than that, sounds like a bargin. Is there any possibility that if I used the 1.5 amp that I would damage intercom? Certainly appreciate your assistance.

Hi
    The 1.5 amps = 180 volt amps which is better than 20 volt amps. It just means it will supply more current if the load needs it. Sounds like that transformer is just what you need.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie and DocHeb. Thank you very much for all of your assistance. I will order this part right now. Thanks for guiding me through this and saving me big bucks. CBN comes through again. Lee

You'll probably need some sort of enclosure to mount the transformer in since it will not mount to the panelboard like your old one does.

Thanks inspector507. I sorta thought that might be the case from the illustration on the web page. Fortunately, I have someone more knowledgeable that I am to change same for me. Thanks Again

Charlie, the 1.5 amp is supplied to the output @ 30 volts. The equivalent Volt-Ampere rating is 1.5 Amps x 30 Volts or 45 VA. The original transformer was rated at 20VA. At an output of 30 volts it will deliver 0.66 amps to the load while drawing 0.38 Amps at 120 volts from the line. . The replacement transformer is a lttle more than twice the power capability of the original. (assumes 100% efficiency)

Leemac, I have a TRIAD transformer, part number F91X with secondary taps @ 10, 20, 30 and 40 volts and primary taps to adjust the secondary by 5%. It's yours if you want it, send me a private meassage.