Thread: Many Fluorescent Lights in Office not Working?

Many Fluorescent Lights in Office not Working?

We have been in our office space for under 1 year (it is a 2 year old building) and now we have 8 fluorescent lights that have stopped working. We tried replacing the bulbs but that did not work.

I think it is a ballast problem but am concerned that 8 lights would stop working so soon. All 8 are not on the same switch.

Any suggestions on why so many lights are not working? Thanks!

Re: Many Fluorescent Lights in Office not Working?

Did they stop all eight at once, or over a period of time. If all at once, I'd perhaps suspect a wireing issue. Did all the lights on a particular switch stop at once?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Not much help here, but are you sure the replacement bulbs were good?

Yes, the bulbs are good (I considered this and took 4 bulbs from a light that was working and put it in the light that was not working). Thanks!

They stopped over a period of time. The building is only 2 years old so I am not sure why so many lights would not be working so soon. I had done some reading and came up with the ballast but it still seems odd that so many ballast would go bad so soon.

The new electronic ballasts will not withstand much of a power fluctuation at all. I'm not saying thats the problem, but if I were the troubleshooter, that's where I'd start. I'd also check to see if they are getting low or high voltage.

Are these lights connected to an emergency lighting system? I have seen some strange wiring where one or two lights per room are connected to the backup generator system, and when it kicks in, only two lights come one out of a group of four. These lights usually have a red LED somewhere to indicate they are emergency lights. Anyway, in this situation they can have faulty wiring which may lead to problems.

Joe