Thread: Skunk living under barn

Skunk living under barn

For several weeks now, there has been a charming little skunk living under my barn. He has been so good as to steal some of my eggs and even eat a couple of my silky bantams. Being the wild creature that he/she is, I feel no malicious intent toward him. I've since purchased a box trap with the intention of capture and relocating the odiferous mustelidae. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I'm wonder for any suggestions as to the successful capture and release of said skunk utilizing the box trap method. Speculation welcome. (killing the skunk for "being a skunk" is <font color="brown"> NOT </font color> an option in this case).

Re: Skunk living under barn

Suggest you have a long rope attached to the cage and also some type of remote system to open cage when the little fellow is being released in new territory.

And perhaps refrain from vehicle transportation.

Egon

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I applaud you for not killing the skunk for being a skunk!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Your cooperative extension, or your local animal conrol officer may have some suggestions on moving the skunk in the box trap without getting sprayed. I know it can be done, but unfortunately, I don't remember the way to do it. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

<font color="purple"> I'm wonder for any suggestions </font color>

I once worked with an old man who used to catch skunks during the 1930's depression to sell their pelts. According to him, the secret was to pick them up by the tail. If their rear feet are off the ground, they cannot spray (supposedly [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ).

It's been a long time since I did anything like that, but when we had skunks tht lived in a vacant field in town years ago, but liked to cross the street to visit in a residential area, the city had traps you could go get on loan. The (box traps?) had solid metal sides, tops, and bottoms with a heavy mesh on the ends. I baited it with sardines, and could look through one end, from quite a distance, to tell when I had a skunk caught. Then I'd call the animal control folks and they'd come with a solid metal box, slightly larger than the trap, with a hinged air tight lid. By approaching the trap from the side, the trapped skunk could not see the man who would gently pick up the trap, set it in the larger box and close the lid.

California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills

I never actually tried it, but when we had various critters living under our house here in the 'burbs, the local pest control "experts" suggested we place a radio under the house and leave it on 24 hours a day. Apparently, racoons, skunks, possums, etc. don't like rap music or hemorrhoid commercials any more than we do, so they look for more peaceful lodging.

We were supposed to leave the radio down there for a number of days, and when we were sure the li'l beasts were gone, we were to run around and seal up any openings where they might try to gain access in the future. That part may be impractical for a barn.

I thought the idea was novel, but the thought of having that radio droning on through the otherwise still of the night just didn't appeal to a light sleeper like me. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] After a few of weeks of indecision, we realized we hadn't seen or heard any evidence of them still being there, so I just sealed things up at that point. Haven't smelled any dead carcasses, so I guess we lucked out. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I had set a box trap for rabbits a few years back and got a skunk in there. Called the humane society and they sent a guy out. From a distance he tossed a blanket on the trap then walked up and grabbed the whole thing and set it in his van. He also mentioned hosing the skunk with water as they cannot spray when "shivering".

He drove off then returned my trap sometime later. I suspect he opened the trap through the blanket and let the skunk wander out on his own. The skunk never saw him so never had a "target" to spray [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

In Mossy Bottom a farmer got a skunk in his basement. A friend at the Mossy Bottom General Store &amp; Feed suggested he drop bread crums from the basement to the forest, knowing the skunk would eat the crums back into the forest where skunks belong.
    Two days later at the Mossy Bottom General Store &amp; Feed the men asked the farmer why the long face...He said he put the crums down as suggested and now he's got two skunks in his basement and has been sleeping in the car.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Now that would make a good Bluegrass song! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How's your festival preparations going?
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Busy, busy, busy.
    Getting ready for the one in Greenup County KY in May and have a pile of others on the books to attend/MC.
    I love my job!
    Bo McCarty, Realtor