Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to survive this???

Re: Are we going to survive this???

Keep up your humor and keep posting...Kyle
    BTW, we have sold our house (finally) and have moved into a tiny apartment in Giddings. Yes, our stuff is crammed into it, our 12 x 20 barn and another 10x 10 storage unit....Kyle

Kool, Kyle! Now you get to change your personal information (removing the Cedar Park portion).
    I'm looking forward to the day when I can remove all memory of Houston from my mind.

We visited with Kenneth on Friday and started the cabinet decisions, went to the cultured marble factory (on Hwy 71 just north of Columbus) and visited the flooring store. When we left our home, the insulators were more than half done. The dry wallers should be out there today.
    Your temporary digs should bring new meaning to the term closeness.

I'm glad you're having good luck! Our neighbour built their house this spring and managed to dig up our property, build their house in our right of way, $%& in our woods and not clean one ounce of it up, throw all garbage to the wind for us to pick up out of the feilds and trees, dumped a can of nails in our field and they pulled out our survey stake.

And believe it or not we are good friends! We weren't impressed with their contractor at all though.

Yo, Slow. It's hard to control the people we pay to work for us, eh? I hope you and your neighbors can stay friends through it all.
    I have a buddy who is acting as GC on his mom's house. He has the site so controlled that he'll stop someone to pick up a butt they drop and direct them to the trash can. (I hope they aren't getting back at him by leaving surprises inside wall cavities and such.)
    Kyle, where are you at on your build?

It's been a while since the last post. I'm trying not to bore everyone. I don't have a digital camera, so when I finally use up a roll of film, get it developed, then scan it, well- a little time passes to say the least. (I think the roll currently in the camera has some pictures of President McKinley on the film.) But I digress.
    We got the BIG SHOCK not too long ago that, what with rising cots, etc, the original estimate for the house was about 15% low. Yes, no big surprise, but still painful. The bank said they'll work with us.
    The drywall is all up and primed, the cabinets and trim are in, and the painter should be priming the bare wood today. The jobsite is holding up well, in light of the 12 inches of rain we've had over the last 2 weeks. We will have to address some erosion that is happening as water comes rushing down that metal roof. I've got a call into the guy who did our driveway and pond, as he's into landscaping, too.
    We put the Houston house on the market, so most of that work is over. We'll have some more time for the country house.
    We are surviving. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Well, we put the Houston house on the market a few weeks ago. The realtor called the other day to say she never saw such a slow down in home sales. It will sell at just the right time.
    I went to the new house last night to put the tile inside, where the installer can get to it. 21 trips at 60 lbs a box. It was still about 95 degrees outside, but inside was a chilly 74. They set the air conditioner! The few interior areas we are having painted had the first coat. (We will paint a bunch ourselves to try to offset these cost overruns.) It is actually starting to look like something. I guess we will have to shop for light fixtures and ceiling fans soon. Ken says VERY soon.

The posts in this topic sure have tapered off. I guess the heat is slowing everyone's work.
    The electrician has been out, and is finishing up his work. Ceiling fans are hung, and the end of the switches, outlets and wall plates should be done this week. (We will go back and remove wall plates when we paint the rooms that were left in primer only.) The tile man (who is also the painter) has set all the tile except for the master bath. He is waiting on the plumber to set the tub and shower. We have installed the deadbolt locks and doorknobs. The phone company is contemplating the drop to our house.
    We are keeping our fingers crossed: the Houston house has a contract and has passed the mortgage appraisal & inspection. It will be a photo finish, but we think the new house won't be done when we have to be out of the other. I don't think our situation is what they refer to us "the homeless".

Not too much new on the house. I called the phone company (same company serves the old house & the new). They set up the new service to start when the old one was cut off, August 16th. I called last week to check the status of the work order. They had not yet looked at the new house. (I have to stop here a moment to back up and tell another part of this story: I called 2 months ago to let them know this was not your typical connect-the-wire-at-the-pedestal install. They told me to just call 30 days prior to wanting service.) So, back to last week's call- the person I spoke to suggested we move the install date up to August 9th, so when they got out there and saw that it was going to be 500 feet and a road-bore, this would give them more time and perhaps be ready for the service to begin on the 16th. He assured me the old house would have service through the 16th. This morning we get up (at the old house) and the phone had been disconnected. I call my friends at the phone company and get reconnected. The guy reads the note to me regarding the new house: unsual situation, will need to come back later.

And, here's another for you folks moving out into the country: just because you get a 911 address, don't think the post office knows about it. It seems they have their own database.

Sounds like a perfectly normal situation to me, Bret. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When I moved my parents to my place in the country 10 years ago, I called the phone company a month in advance, got an installation date, and even the new phone number, but when that date arrived, so did the service man from the phone company, who told me they didn't have a line out there to install any additional phones and had no idea when they would have. I found that two other people had been waiting for a phone for 2 months. So I called the Public Utilities Commission in Austin and 3 days later, we all had phones. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And the 911 address was obtained at the county courthouse; the post office was still using rural route and box numbers, although they did change to using the street addresses a year or so later.

I guess the scenario in the old sitcom, Green Acres, wasn't so far from the truth. (Remember their phone up on the pole because the Telco didn't have enough wire to run it all the way into the house?)