Thread: Scissor truss plans?

Scissor truss plans?

Am thinking about a small tractor garage to put up at our remote property. I want to go 16 x 34, with the doors on the long side. We get lots of snow so I want to put the gables in the long direction, and, for looks, it would be best to have the building kind of low-profile. I think scissor trusses are the solution and am interested in making my own, since there won't be too many. (The whole thing will be of rough-cut lumber.)
    Anyone know where on the net I might be able to find layouts for scissor trusses? The rest of the building is simple enough but I haven't made trusses before.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Scissor truss plans?

Perhaps do some checking on cost. Buying trusses may not be that more expensive considering the time and efort plus materials to make identical trusses.

Egon

I have had the suggestion alright. Couple of things are inclining me toward building them: remote location of property means transporting them will add significantly to the cost (since I will only need 8), and, I just want to try building them myself.
    Lumber itself is no problem, as there are a couple of sawmills quite close by.
    I had a look at those websites; one could get lost in there for a while looking at stuff! - but so far no scissor trusses.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Jim, not an answer to your question, but with a 16 foot span and your other requirements, I would give serious consideration for a single slope slant roof.

Al Wa,
    Have thought about this. Here is what's going on - I have a tractor with a snowblower that I want to park in this building, and I want to keep the overall height of the building down. With a single slope roof, the high side of a single slope roof would be over the doors, so the snow wouldn't dump right in front of them. Since the tractor is unreliable and may be unused for long periods of time, I will want access to the front of it for boosting or perhaps other maintenance. Now if I back in, the tallest part of the tractor (the snowblower) will be under the lowest part of the roof, forcing the total height of the building up.
    I am trying to get the building to look right with the site and just the way the land goes, it would be much more attractive if it could be low and long rather than tall (and just as long). So, I want to park the tractor with blower under the peak and put other stuff either side of it, which made scissor trusses sound good.
    Now I am starting to consider purlins. Since the one tall door will be centred, there could be a purlin either side of it which would reduce the span of rafters if I went that way. I might be able to get away with 2x8s; I'll have to dig into that. It would be simpler too.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Right, so my question has changed: where on the internet can I find what size of rafter and purlin I would need for a given slope, assuming a metal roof? I suppose I have to include my latitude, which is 46 degrees. I know, I could ask my building inspector, but he quit and they don't have a new one yet.

First of all, I am not a technical person, so 46 degrees in latitude does not mean a whole lot for me, however being you have a snowblower on your tractor one could assume that you are in the northern United States in a snow state, and not in my home state as I do not know of any sawmills there. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you would look on the plans from NDSU as stated in a previous post and look at Plan #5527 under construction, you will find one plan for scissors rafters. this plan is for 32 to 34 ft spans base on 24 inches on center for a total of nine for a sixteen foot building.

Aha! I missed that one. Just the right size too.
    Re: 46 degrees latitude; it could have been in a northern state, but in my case, it's a "southern province".
    Thanks,
    Jim

I have truss plans here that may be helpful?

http://howtobuildplans.com &

howtobuild-plans | eBay