Thread: Making a board and batten building weather tight

Making a board and batten building weather tight

I have a board and batten sided pole building that I would like to begin using in the winter. Its not completely weather tight - you can see some light coming into the building and I get a little snow or rain blowing in at times. I'd like to make it weather tight and be able to insulate a portion of the building so that I can heat it in the winter. Short of replacing the siding, what is the best way to make the building weather tight?

Re: Making a board and batten building weather tig

As the exterior must be the weather tight layer there really aren't many options available. Perhaps cauking??

The inside could be sealed but any moisture comming from the outside could cause rot/mould type problems.

Egon

Re: Making a board and batten building weather tight

If you want to insulate it anyway just put up some blue board on the inside. That's keep the wind/air infiltration out and insulate at the same time. You won't have to worry about rot because that section is exposed now anyway and as soon as the rain stops it'll dry out. Course you CAN calk from the inside anywhere you see light coming in OR you can use the expanding foam (Great Stuff is one type). That fills in gaps pretty well too. After it hardens just cut away the excess from the outside.

Re: Making a board and batten building weather tight

I'm not speaking from experience, so take it for what it's worth... There is a product that can be sprayed into your wall cavity against the back side of your B&B between your wall bracing that will expand into a foam. The excess is cut off flush with the wall bracing with a saw. You would probably have to do some trimming outside as well where it penetrated cracks. I've known a few people to use this that were happy with it. You would probably need to find a contractor with the proper equipment. The product is similar to "mix and pour" foam used for boat hull flotation. I have used this, and a little goes a long way.