Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old table saw to router table?????

Re: Old table saw to router table?????

Thanks Robert, I'll check them out.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Old saw table to router table just may work. Think of adding an extension for mounting the router so you still have the table and fence. Routers can also be mounted horizontally or even on an overhead arm vertically. A little time for ideas to come together, some metal and a welder may result in very desirable results.

I've got a jig for sharpening chain saw chains but find it too time consumming and awkward.

Egon

The shapers I've used in the past must not have had the long spindle. If I recall correctly, they could only cut maybe 2" above the table. But it's been a few years back, so perhaps it's my memory that's short. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Back in high school wood shop, about 1960 or so, we only learned to use it on the board edges, not the surface.

I've had success fluting with my Bosch plunge router and edge guide, but I can see that if you had a way to raise the shaper's cutter high enough you could do the surface of a board if it wasn't too wide. I clamped a board at both ends of the cut to ensure I didn't over run the ends.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

<font color="purple"> The shapers I've used in the past must not have had the long spindle. If I recall correctly, they could only cut maybe 2" above the table </font color>

Long spindle also equates to thick spindle, to keep vibration down. The ones I used were not what you'd find in most home shops, with 7/8" and 1 1/8" diameter spindles. When I wrote yesterday, I had forgot completely about the 1 1/8" shaper, whose spindles were about 10" tall. That one had two spindles, each with its own motor, one clockwise and the other counterclockwise. It was an antique, as more modern ones incorporate the reversing function into one motor control. Its wooden table mostly stayed covered up with cat food dishes, as the cats dinner table was the floor under that machine. Before you could use it you had to clean off dried cat food, and scatter the felines.

Were the cats deaf? I'd figure as soon as you turned it on the cats would scatter of their own accord! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="purple"> I'd figure as soon as you turned it on the cats would scatter of their own accord </font color>

They would actually sleep right next to a running machine, and some of those are quite loud. But they still came when called for dinner [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

We always scattered them before turning something on, in case they might head in the wrong direction (into the cutters). Blood is bad for the cast iron tables. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]