Thread: pole barn garage help

pole barn garage help

I am building a 24x30 pole building, it has 10' walls, 4-12 pitch roof, as of now, the framing and trusses are all up and what i would like to do next is put on the roofing metal, then let the floor dry out so i can pour concrete, and then put the siding on..but heres the problem, when i was installing the posts in the ground, i hit rock along one whole wall, so about 5 posts along that wall are only about 6" in the ground, so, im afraid that if i install the metal roofing, then say we get a bunch of springtime storms with high winds, the wind might get up under the roof and pick the thing right up since the poles on that one side are not in the ground very far, it would be different if the siding were already on it to keep the wind out from under the roof, but i wanted to do the concrete floor before i put the siding on as it would be easier and more light and all..i was going to drill holes in the poles that are not far in the ground and run rebar through them into the floor, then concrete over the rebar wich would hold the posts to the ground.. any suggestions on anchoring this thing down on that one side temporarily until the floor is poured?
    thanks

Re: pole barn garage help

Where are you located? 6" is too shallow to handle frost heaving, and even after the siding is up, a strong wind is likely to lift the barn.

Steve

im in tennessee, not much cold weather here. gotta be an easy way to anchor this thing down, what i plan on doing is drilling holes in the posts that are not deep in the ground and running rebar through the post out into the floor, then pouring the concrete floor over the rebar, that should hold it down, but what to do until i get the floor poured, that is the question.?

Hey Mopower, your idea to anchor by drilling holes and use rebar is good idea. To increase your anchoring before pouring 'crete, if the rock is stable and solid, drill 4 - 6'' deep hole in it along side of the posts(90deg out from the ones you'll use for concrete) and epoxy a 'L' shaped rebar, long end in the hole, other in post. Or you can weld up two straight pieces to make L if you have problems getting the bent end into the post. While the epoxy is plyable you can bend and guide it into the post. Should only need 2 or 3'' in the post. I know you've had some really great weather lately so you may have already got past this part. Hope this is of some value, and the project goes up without a hitch.
    roy g