Thread: split pipe in frost free hyrant

split pipe in frost free hyrant

This spring I noticed a bend in one of my Iowa frost free hyrants, when I turned it on water shoots out of a 6 inch long split in the pipe. The split is about a foot below the head of the hyrant. I was able to turn it off okay. The idea of digging up the hyrant which if I remember is at least down 3 to 4 feet is not too appealing. Has anyone ever delt with this problem before? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Re: split pipe in frost free hyrant

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The idea of digging up the hyrant which if I remember is at least down 3 to 4 feet is not too appealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it isn't too appealing, but I sure don't know of any alternative. Maybe someone else does.

I also can't think of any other choice. I'm not an expert on frost free hydrants, but it sounds like something prevented the hydrant from draining properly. You'll have to dig it up and pay attention to the sump area, to see what might have happened.

Steve

I had left a hose attached and the water on by mistake one freezing day.. the nozzle cracked.. still worked.. but after I dropped a log on it.. it was done. When I went to replace it I started w/ a shovel.. more rocks then dirt.. got out the tractor and FEL. The hole actually has to be dug pretty big so you can get down &amp; work on the connection. I'd dig some w/ the FEL.. then jump off and use the shovel to clear beside the pipe to follow it down. Once you see gravel around the pipe.. you should be getting close to the underground line. Though I haven't had a problem w/ the new one.. I'm planning on installing an additional hydrant for the new cattle setup I'm building.. so I'll be digging it up again this summer. It would have been a tuff job w/ just a shovel.. a lot easier w/ a backhoe(I don't have one).. but FEL did the job.

Don't see a choice. When you dig your hole, make sure you dig about a foot deeper and fill with gravel. I was told you need 24" diameter of gravel around the hydrant and at least six to twelve inches deep for drainage so the frost free hydrant can drain properly each time. Don't know what you did initially, but I would take care to make sure this repair is done by the book. My guess is that you are seeing the top of the split and it may be larger than what you can see when the water spurts out.