Thread: Mosquito Magnet???

Mosquito Magnet???

Has anyone out there used the Mosquito Magnet? (They use propane to generate CO2 and octenol to attract mosquitos and biting flies to a net.) If so, how well do they work? We are considering purchasing one for use in Virginia, but don't want to put out $450 to $1300 for one if they are not effective [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] . Would appreciate any comments or opinions.

Re: Mosquito Magnet???

I've heard that they work very well, and was told that they wipe out the female population, and that there is a lagging effect of two to four weeks. I don't know how much is sales pitch or people who just want to back up their purchase with good results.

I don't know if it is the same thing, but Sam's had a propane unit for under $300 (if I remember correctly).

I didn't know they were as expensive as your price range.

I bought the Liberty model last spring. After buying and setting it up with the "octenol" I discovered that our primary problem was the asian tiger?? a mosquito that octenol didn't work on and possibly repelled. Then I removed the octenol and it worked better. Placement is a big issue. After about six weeks of trying different sites occasionally it worked well all summer and I finally stored it in December. For us in this mosquito heaven area it didn't eradicate the mosquitoes, but made a huge difference. Each tank of propane lasted about a month. I also bought a propane fogger for about 70.00 and used it about twice a week to spray around hedges, trees, in culverts, and other hiding areas. With my experience I would buy it again.

a friend where I was staying in Alaska has one and it worked great. The little sack that collects the little critters wold fill in no time. I was impressed, seeing a couple of thousand blood suckers at their end was a good feeling.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know whether we have the "asian tiger" mosquito in central VA, but we have just about every other flying, biting insect. Will wait and see if anyone else has any experience, but it sounds like it may be worth the investment.

Thanks, again.
    Kip

I just "cranked" ours up for the season a couple of days ago. A few days of warm weather after all the rain has given the mosquitoes a jump start here.