Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FireStarters

Hybrid View

FireStarters

OK guys and gals. We can grow them, we can cut them, we can split them, and then we need to burn them.

What is your favorite firestarter product, and why?

I want to stike a match, walk away, and come back to a real nice fire! Every time there would be a real ... nice ... fire.

Thanks!

Martin

Re: FireStarters

What: Cedar Kindling
    Why: <font color="blue"> stike a match, walk away, and come back to a real nice fire! Every time there would be a real ... nice ... fire.
    </font color>

Is this for dry stored kindling or out in the woods for a campsite after a three day rain?

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Egon, stored in an inside wood box. I don't think this question has a good answer for the 3 day rain case. I have carried kindling on hunting trips (rather the horses did).

If stored inside hand plane shavings of pine overlain by some dry pine sticks should work well.

After the three day rain find a big pine or spruce and use the dead dry llittle lower stubs.

If you find someone who can start a fire in the woods after a three day rain make sure he is treated well.

Egon

Egon

<font color="blue"> If you find someone who can start a fire in the woods after a three day rain make sure he is treated well.
    </font color>

Too funny Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll tell you our secret, but don't tell anyone alse...

Take an old paper/cardboard egg container from that dozen eggs you bought. Cut the top off. Take old candles, and melt them. Fill each spot in the egg contained about 1/2-3/4 full. Let eh wax cool. Set it over by the woodstove or fireplace.

When you want to start a fire, break off one of the wax filled egg thingy's; there should be 12 to start. Set it in the stove, and arrange kindling over it. Light a corner of it, and you will have a nice fire shortly.

It works even better if you put wood shavings or sawdust, like from the table saw, in the wax.

take a tuna can or something similar, cut strips of cardboard the height of the inside of the can, roll them tightly into a roll and put in can and fill with parrafin. when needed just light the cardboard, soon you have a candle the size of the top of the tin. when the use of it is over just let it cool for the next time. I used C ration cans this way to heat meals in the field.

Twenty years ago or so we went fishing up in Cananda, walked a mile back to a lake where there was a boat and an outboard, started raining and we got soaked. No dry wood and only matches to start a fire. Peeled some bark off a birch tree, it was really good at getting the wet wood started. Of course if everyone did this, all the birch trees in Canada would be naked by now. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

By the way, best fishing I have ever had.

Lordy:

Can't figure out all these compilcated pre prepared firestarters.

All you got to do is find a big evergreen with some dead branches and then find a few larger dead branches and away youse go. If there be a little dried grass you have hit heaven.

Got one of those all purpose survival knives with a complete survival kit in the handle. Looks good but never travels the woods with me.

My son gave me a fancy lighter that works in almost all kinda conditions. Its in the backpack in case the matches don't work.

All a hatchet is good for is for making an emergency situation possible as well as added weight for a little extra excersize.

Iffin a saw is really required an 18/24 inch swede saw does just perfect. Even better is a small prunning saw as it tkes up les room and less weight.

The wire saw type that requires you make a fram for is best left in the store.

And then ifn youse be above tree line it's a different situation altogether.

Everyone to their own!!

Egon