Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw wars revisited!

Re: Chainsaw wars revisited!

I still use my 20 year old Craftsman (Homelite) 2.3 with a 16" bar. I've had it tuned up every year and the only problem was a broken starter cord. It has cut every tree I've started on, albeit a little slow!
    I had never seen so many Huskys at one place (other than new). That's why I asked him about them.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    20 year old Craftsman (Homelite)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know Homelite made any of the Craftsman, but 20 years ago my next door neighbor had a Craftsman that was made by Poulan. In fact, his Craftsman and my Poulan were identical except for color and the fact that his was older than mine, so I'm not sure when it was made.

fivestring, I have a couple 16 inch Macs. One needs to be cleaned out as it set too long with fuel in it and the other is doing fine. I dropped an eastern red cedar recently that was a bit over 2 feet in diameter at 4 ft above the ground. A production situation would require faster cutting but for my needs cutting down the trees is not the bottleneck.

I cut 5 trees recently and slabbed them with a band mill. It takes longer, by a considerable margin, to remove the limbs close to the trunk to get clearance for the mill than it does to just cut down a tree. Tossing the logs on the trailer with the Kubota's pallet forks is a snap. Limbing might go faster with some more power but at the cost of wielding a heavier saw so I'm not sure where the advantage lies with regards to conservation of energy, MINE!

Where my concern is focused right now is in getting enough saw to function properly in a milling situation. Under powered and I spend too much effort - - s l o w l y - - pushing the saw along. Too much power isn't a problem except for the attendant weight and cost.

I'm sure somewhere there is a good compromise. I have received some suggestions and soon will try to digest, compare, and then "throw a dart at a list tacked to the wall."

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird, Sounds like a version of the Johnson vs Evenrude wars of years past when folks still had brand loyalty for one or the other long after they were made in the same factory (OMC) and were just painted different colors with different engine covers (most models).

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat,
    The one big plus with Stihl's sales model -vs- Husky's that I see, is that you establish a relationship with your DEALER right off the bat. This is the guy who is going to fix your saw if you break it. A large percentage of Husky's are sold through anonymous relationships... big box stores and internet dealers. If you buy from them who do you go to when you need parts or repairs? Do you go to Home Depot? Hardly. If you do, they will take your saw and send it away for weeks to an 'authorized' repair center. Your Stihl dealer IS an authorized repair center. Stihl requires it of them.

As far as chainsaw warranties go, if you use it at all, you'll know within 90 days whether there are any manufacturing defects. If it doesn't break by then chances are probably above 90% that the malfunction is due to USER ERROR.

The big pro models are primarily used in commercial logging environments. Warranties for most power tools are severely limited for use in commercial situations. The average homeowner buying a $1000 chainsaw is pretty rare. The few sales missed to homeowner/hobbyists due to the limited warranty probably don't have a significant financial impact on Stihl as a company. It is probably actually cheaper for them to only sell them to 'serious' users, since the hobbyists are probably far more likely to make the aforementioned 'USER ERRORS'.

Husky makes a good saw. I've used both Husky's and Stihl's. I own Stihls. Would I buy a Husky? Maybe. I like Stihl saws and don't see a reason not to buy another. I like the idea of going to the dealer when I need a new air filter or a new sprocket and getting a break on parts from him because he knows me. Going to the big box store where knowbody knows much about the saws just isn't the same.

I know there are some good Husky dealers out there... they used to be sold only by authorized regional dealers too. You just have to look for one. (which I would recommend if you choose husky) A friend of mine bought a Husky through an internet dealer and doesn't have many options with a little problem he has. His saw won't start below 40F degrees. If he brings it inside and warms it up it'll start, but it should start just fine in temps down to 0F for sure.

BTW - The first saws I operated were Mac's. A Pro-Mac 55 and a Pro-Mac 10-10. They cut alright, but had manual oilers and no anti-vibe system, so they shook the livin daylights out of you.

Have also used Johnserud, Olympyk, Partner, Poulan, Homelite, Remington and a Craftsman. The Johnserud, Oly, and Partner were pretty decent saws for the price. I'd never own a poulan. The going joke about the 'pull-on' saw is that you pull on it and pull on it and it still doesn't start.

If you are serious about using the Alaska mill, either the Stihl or Husquevrna should do well for you. If the warranty leads you to Husky, that's fine. If you buy a Husky get it from a real dealer. Get to know the dealer. Chainsaws need new bars, sprockets, chains, filters, etc... It's nice to have someone to turn to when you need them.

Larry [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Larry, Excellent commentary and advice. I agree with your perceptions regarding a different process model and the economic viability to the manufacturer but although I agree with what you say, I'm not a stock holder and have to look at it from a consumer/user viewpoint which is not congruent, close in places, but not congruent to the corporate view.

Around here there are few Stihl dealers and many Husky dealers. I have a neighbor who has been trained as a small engine mechanic but doesn't have a 9-5 gig so I can get real local help if required. I have other neighbors who cut, split, and sell firewood as a fair sized economic enterprise who are experienced Husky users and have good Husky service connections so I can get fairly local professional service.

So anyway, warranty is no longer a real issue to me since I have ordered a used Husky 394XP via ebay. The seller has really high marks and I got a decent price (with shipping 1/2 the lowest discount price I could find with extensive searching) so I took a chance. I got it cheaply enough so it won't ruin my entire year if it doesn't work out. It has a 32 inch bar and 90cc engine. It is claimed to start and run OK and have good compression. If it has "most" of the performance it should have it will probably be power enough for me (or more) as I don't intend to be a high volume lumber producer.

I like the Poulan joke. Borrowing from an old chainsaw joke of years past and remodeling for Poulan, we have... What did the Poulan owner of long standing say when his chainsaw engine started up? "What's that vroooom noise?" I should joke about that, I left fuel in a saw too long and gummed up the fuel system making the saw very hard to start. I once commented to a friend that I could probably save effort by jamming the clutch and cutting wood while jerking on the starter rope. It might be less work than pulling it till it started and then cutting.

You might suggest that to any Poulan owners. Note, I didn't say users as that implies that it runs.

Well, one thing is for sure, I won't be out in really cold weather with a chainsaw.

Right now the only real regret I have is not getting a manual with illustrated parts breakdown. I will be looking into that.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll post my results pro and con after I have had a chance to use it a bit. If Harbor Freight delivers within their predicted time, I should have the Alaskan mill next week.

Thanks again,

P.S. To all the loyal and satisfied Poulan owners: The above was intended as humor and not an attempt to assail your position as Poulan suporters. If either of you need that explained, just say.

Pat,
    Glad to hear you got a good price on what I've heard is a good saw. Hope it works out well for you. I look forward to some pics of the mill and some of your newly milled lumber. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Larry

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Here in upstate New York, as far as I know Huskys are only sold though dealers. I love my Husky, and I beat the crap out of it. After every long use, I bring it to my dealer, who sharpens the chain for me for $3. He also tunes it up and cleans it for that price!!! You can't beat that!!! I'll have the saw forever!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Rich,

That's the kind of dealer I like to do business with! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Someone who gives you good service for a reasonable price. With that kind of a sharpening price, it wouldn't pay to sharpen your own chain. Just keep a couple of spares and bring in the used to get them sharpened.

I see Husky's for sale in all of the Home Depot and Lowes big box stores and worry that anyone who buys a saw there wouldn't know where to take it if something goes wrong. What would they do at HD? Lowes? They might be able to point you toward an authorized repair shop, maybe. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Larry

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Larry, that's exactly what I do. I keep an extra chain that my dealer has sharpened, and after every heavy use I switch chains. Then I periodically bring in the whole saw, and he tunes it up for the $3 price of sharpening the chain. He actually raised the price from $2 to $3 last year, and he apologized!! I told him that I'd go as high as $4 without complaining!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] He actually took me seriously, and said he'd hold it at $3 for as long as he could!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."