Thread: almost lost barn roof

almost lost barn roof

Today was supposed to be ralaxed without a lot to do. I was burning some garbage and looking at the barn noticed a sag in the roof that was not supposed to be there. Up at the roof area of this 100 yr old post and beam barn the beam that angles up to carry the rafters had slid out and was dangling in mid air.The tenon had rotted enough to let it pop out of the mortise and I honestly don't know what was holding that section up other than a 4x4 brace built on tha underside. Ended up pulling it back into place with a bunch of cables and comealong along with wrecking bars to pry with. All this work was about 20 ft off the floor because half my 40 ft ladder was just long enough to reach. A lot of trips up and down two ladders to pull then over to pry and then back to pull. Next I'll have to make up some steel plates to sandwich it solid and keep it from moving again. Sure glad I noticed it before It came right down. I can't imagine the bill to fix it if it had, it's 60x90 and 21 ft to the eaves.

Re: almost lost barn roof

Sounds like the discovery and the repair both got the heart a pumping!