Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to build

Ready to build

Hello, I recently joined the forum and have already learned so much from all of you folks!

We just picked up our plans yesterday and will be breaking ground by the end of the month.

We're building a country farmhouse with a modern flair.

I'm sure to have tons of questions fror everyone in the coming months. The search feature has already been a big help.

Thanks again, and be ready for the questions......J [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Ready to build

Best of luck with your project!

My wife and I are just about getting our new house finished and It's been very stressful. Carpets are being installed tomorrow and the next day.

Keep us informed.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Welcome to the frustrating but wonderful experience of building your home.

My advise right now would be to ask as many questions now before the first dirt is moved. How much of the work are you doing yourself?

My G.C. is a good family friend. He's taking care of most of the headaches, thankfully. He's been in the business 30+ years, and is really one of the nicest folks you'd ever meet.

I've been running down the permits, and had the well and perc completed. I'm going to do the driveway (1800') and some of the interior finnish/gingerbread.

I have some good friends in the business that are also being a big help. Two of them own one of the largest HVAC companies in the area, and will be looking after me in that regard.

We plan using a poured wall foundation, 2x6 framing, running 400 amp electric (2 - 200 amp breakers), and oil with coal backup/supplement for heat. Topping it off with a standing seam metal roof.

Should anyone have any other suggestions / ideas, your help is welcomed......J [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gee, at about $100 for each 200amp box instead of about $1500 for a single 400 amp box, what are you going to spend the $1300 savings on?

Good luck and please post a few pictures. You are certainly welcome to join us here at the self abuse central supprt group. If only I had known what questioins to ask far enough in advance I wouldn't have a mostly grey (white?) beard.

Best of luck to you. Of course we welcome you... misery loves company!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Building Southern PA.

Update:

Have the road in and footers poured.

The road was quite a task, 1400' with a few turns. (for drainage purposes) Ended up a little shorter than we originally estimated. Another 400' would have been crazy!! The last 200' are inside the woodline where the homesite is located.

It took 769 tons of #1 crush and run to get the job done. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Basement walls up first of next week...... J

We'd all love to see some pictures.

Good luck.

I've got plenty!!

I just have no way of posting.

I can E-mail some to those in the know to have them posted. Maybe one of the experts like Pat......J

I don't understand? If you can post a message, you should be able to post a picture. Why do you say you have no way to post them?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,

I was under the impression I had to have a web page, or dedicated space to post the picture from.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    I have sent plenty of photos via e-mail, but have never had any success at posting to a forum. Any help would be appreciated.......J