Thread: Concrete bird bath

Concrete bird bath

We have a new concrete bird bath and before I set it up I have a few questions.

I would like to change the color is possible so it's not so stark with just the natural cement color. Can I put some sort of stain or coloring that won't peel off on the outside surfaces? I want t make sure nothing would leach into the water that would hurt the birds so I plan on coloring just the outsides not where the water will go.

Also it was suggested to turn the basin over in the winter so there would be not water in it so it doesn't damage the basin when it freezes. So would it be a good idea to seal the inside of the basin where the water goes with some type of sealer? Again I don't want to cause any problems for the birds.

Or should I just put it out the way it is and keep it clean and full of water [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Bob

Re: Concrete bird bath

Bob, I have yet to find a decent paint for concrete that won't crack or peel.

You are correct in turning the top over when temps are below freezing.
    I lost two tops from freezing, it separates in layers and just peels away like old paint.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

There are stains for concrete which I would think could not peel. I don't know any brand names; just looked into staining a concrete slab to come closer to the color of the pavers I surrounded it with. I really didn't get any farther than finding out that there were such products. As to waterproofing the interior, I think some of the silicone based waterproofing products might do a decent and safe job, but even then you should probably turn the basin over for the winter. Any ice might still crack the concrete.

Chuck

Concrete stains are good. There are also paints formulated expressly for use on concrete in the presence of water. Check at your big box store.

Spalling will be reduced or elliminated if you seal the inside (in contact with water) as it prevents water from penetrating the concrete and then freezing. There are several sources of heaters, some thermostatically controlled to keep the water from freezing in really cold weather. Birds will love it if you supply water when everything else is frozen.

Most water proof paints formulated for concrete (DryLock etc.) will not leach poison into the water after it is well cured. Might ask a large animal vet about any problems with stock watering devices vs paint.

Do not let the water stand for 5 days without emptying and refilling in temperate weather or you will breed mosquitos. The water will be fouled by the birds less than sanitary habits by then anyway.

Bird baths are often "designed" by non-ornithologist qualified personnel. The shape and depth are as likely to be accidental or aesthetic as useful for the birds. You can put some stones of varying sizes in the bottom, under water, to accomodate birds of different stature (leg length etc.)

Best of luck, hope you attract a plethora of avian beauties.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"