Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kobalt Tools?

Re: Kobalt Tools?

Hi Gary,
    I'm a newbie but I'm also a former GM light duty tech. I own Mac, Snap-On, S-K, Kobalt, Blackhawk and Craftsman tools. To be quite honest I never use the Craftsmans.....ever. I learned while in the profession that they have a very big reliability issue and the ratchet gears are too coarse to work well in tight places. Kobalt and Snap On tools are both made by Williams and to be quite honest, for around the house and farm the Kobalt is a better choice than the Snap On due to the ease of disassembly to clean out the common farm grit and dust and re oil. The price is a lot better too. A set of three 3/8" drive Snap On ratchets cost me $235.00 two years ago. Of course professional tools are not necessarily required on the farm. HOWEVER--I am a firm believer in the best quality for the buck even though I have the advantage of owning at least half a dozen 3/8" sets to fall back on in case of a break. I can honestly say that I would repurchase all of the above listed tools again minus the Craftsmans.

Pat:

The tool is lighter yet stronger.

Again youv'e got me all confused. I'd always been under the impression that the heavier the better a hammer the crescent wrench made. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ] The tool is lighter yet stronger.

Egon, It depends on whether you are going for kinetic energy or momemtun. KE goes at the square of the velocity while momentum is linear. It also depends on whether your situation is more closely modeled by an elastic or an inelastic collision where there is a difference in momemtun transfer by a factor of two.

I was told that you should be careful and try to not have to change instruments midway through a calibration. Thereore it is recommended that you start out with your largest hammer to avoid having to change if a lighter one was not up to the job.

If you are intent on hammering screws then by all means go Craftsman for your big "Crescent" wrench (hammer.)

Oh by the way since Roho did a real newbie responding to a really old message to get this started up again does that make it OK for us to jump in or are we all subject to condemnation by the ever present "Thought Police" who will explain us the "Gospel" according to his personal perfectionist preferences? Maybe we'll skate by if there are other crises to divert attentiion, say someone draining his end of the swamp or whatever.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

I get distressed with this kinetic energy. I'm more into static or potential engery that is just sitting and hoping to avoid the possibility of being converted into this here kinetic thing.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Call the jeweler, Pat made a gem

Speaking of swamps.. aw heck, better start another thread

Oh that hurt Pat. &amp; as always U'r right! &amp; I understood COMPLETEY bout de swamp!!! Newbies r dat a way doe!!! Am catching on! But Kobalt caught my eye when I was waltzin throu lowes &amp; seen big kobalt clearance &amp; couldn't help to see how nice the wrenches looked!! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] will try to do bitter oh I mean better! roho!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]