Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and comments on wheel barrows

Opinions and comments on wheel barrows

OK, brain pool: the subject at hand is wheel barrows. The poly tubs would be better for mixing concrete in, right? (I'm thinking of the corrosive nature of concrete.) The poly can't rust. But, I've always had metal tubs on my wheel barrows. And that metal has rusted away after about 10 years. Then there's the knobby tire; why? For off-road use? Like all the others are used on the highway? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Opinions and comments on wheel barrows

I personally like the plastic ones. For me, they seem to hold up longer.
    I've been using the same one for 11 years now, only had to replace the thin tire.
    My father likes the metal ones and they last about 5 or 6 years. I use his old tire as my spare! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Hi
    I have a metal tub and its as good as the day I bought it 30 years ago. I replaced the wheel about 10 years ago and I repainted the tub 1 time and I expect it will out live me.

charlie

I like the all metal "contractor" type wheel barrow. I find that even if you kep everything tight, the ones with wood handles with the tub attached wobble too much with a heavy load.

It is a pain when you hit a bump or dip, and the wheel barrow wobbles and you have to stabalize it. It is even worse when the thing flexes a bit too!

They are more expensive, but well worth it, IMHO.

We have horses and use our wheelbarrows every day. After trying several kinds, we buy nothing but a dual-wheel with the poly tub. They hold up well with heavy loads and they are much easier to wheel around.... especially for heavy loads.
    wheelbarrow ... of course, we pay significantly less for them at the end of the season when Truevalue puts them on sale. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Same as Charlie.

Hi
    I have found that those things that don't last are those things I don't take care of. the type wheelbarrow I have is the contractor type and it seen a lot of concrete mixing. I agree the 2 wheel type would be better for stability but maybe the reason the wheelbarrow wobbles is because it is too big for the person using it.

Charlie

With a two wheeled version, I would think it could get outside of its center of gravity and roll over sideways IF you are traversing hills diagonally with a heavy load. I haven't used a two wheel so this might not be a problem. A single wheel you can keep level and go across a hill or mound diagonally or straight up or down. I have a big metal contractor that is probably 40 yrs old, still going strong. Keep it out of the rain and sun when storing and they last a long time.

Gary

Lots of comments in this thread talking about "wheelbarrows" but I can't imagine all are talking about the "same" thing. There are cheap ones, and quality ones.
    I have one that is in top condition and it is 35 years old. No rust, original tire, metal, and has been used extensively for all those years. Concrete, dirt, sand, rocks, firewood, etc. When finished with it, and before the concrete sets up, it is cleaned out and dried down.

Rust comes from being put away wet and kept out in the rain and dew.

The two wheel varieties do not work like a wheelbarrow (IMO), and for some they may be a helpful blessing. For me, they are worthless, as I like to tilt the wheelbarrow to steer it and to balance it. To steer the two-wheel ones, you have to walk sideways to get it to go in a different direction. NOT fun, and much more extra work.

I find the little garden variety of wheelbarrows too low to the ground and too lightweight to be worthy of the name of "wheelbarrow". They have a small wheel that gets caught in every small bump. Anything less than a 12" tire is too small, again IMO.

Now to each their own, and I don't mean to imply that what you use is not okay.
    So, have fun but get what you like best. Sorry to hear that some only get a few years of good use.

I had a metal tubbed wooden handled contractors wheelbarrow for many years. It served well, hauled dirt, concrete, garden produce and even kids. Found the best use for it was all cleaned up sitting in the shed gathering cobwebs. My back really appreciated that.

Egon