Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feb. Noreaster.

Re: Feb. Noreaster.

JazzDad:

Are you saying you've never had the pleasure of getting a 9 rating from the chair lift riders after an oopsi in the moguls under the chair.

Or been able to ski the backcountry and see areas very few get to.

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Egon

Egon, not only have I not had the "pleasure", I don't even know what you're saying! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But then, have you ever had the pleasure of a Texas dust storm? Well, I haven't either, but I couldn't come up with anything else in this beautiful land of the Lone Star. Actually, one of the prettiest sights you could ever lay eyes on is the Big Bend area a couple of days after a good rain. Or the sides of the highways with carpets of Paint Brushes and Bluebonnets. Or... sorry, I'm getting carried away and have already hijacked your thread. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ever had the pleasure of a Texas dust storm?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know what you've missed until you've been in one when visibility was down to a couple of hundred feet in the middle of the day. But nothing gets the adrenaline flowing like watching a tornado headed straight for you.

I'd just as soon not ever have either of those "pleasures" again. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A couple of hundred feet would be very good visibilty in a snow storm. Been in blizzards where the white out is so bad that sitting in your car you could not see the end of your hood. When you are stopped, you swear you are still moving even though you may be in park/neutral with the brakes on. Its like being in a large white box with someone moving it. Heard stories of this perceived motion driving people over the edge. These storms are something to experience, mother nature can get mean and ugly.
    The dust from your dust storms must be awful. I would imagine that it gets in everything, lungs included. At least the snow will eventually melt and go away, I don't think dust will do that.

The dust from your dust storms must be awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen cars with windshields literally ruined by dust storms; looked like they'd been sandblasted. At least the ones I've been in personally didn't do any damage other than coat of dust on everything.

I was in one of your Ill. white outs and I was so close to the car in front me that I fell like I could touch his car! I was afraid he would pull into his garage and close the door on me his tail lights were all that I could see and they were very dim! We were moving at less than a walk speed ... Not a good feeling ...
    Leo

I spent a winter in Illinois (worst winter in 75 years near U of I in Urbana area. I was quartered on the second floor of a barracks bld at Chanute field (USAF). As I was on the second floor, I couldn't make a Nova Scotian cooler, no outside door. I tied large glass bottles (predated 2 liter plastic) of pop to a small wire cable and lowered them out the window, bounced them to break the crust of a drift and lowered them into the powder below.

This was handy as we were not allowed to keep a frige or anything like that. Once during quite a blow when I was retrieving a bottle the wind bounced it off the side of the bld pretty good a couple times. The next day standing in the chow line, I heard a guy telling his STORY about how the wind was blowing so hard that he heard somethng hit his wall and when he looked out a big full Coke bottle was floating up past his window.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Chanute field (USAF)

[/ QUOTE ]

The elder of my two brothers spent a winter there ('63-'64 I believe). He later spent his last two years in the Air Force at Elmendorf and never complained about the cold in Alaska nearly as much as he did about Chanute. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The coldest winter I ever spent was in Des Plaines, IL, in '71-'72. I understand that winter wasn't anywhere near one of their worst, but it was bad enough for me to know I wouldn't want to live there. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bird, That was the winter I was there. Marched 3 miles one way to and from school, IN THE SNOW and IT WAS UPHILL BOTH WAYS!

It was just training for the 3 winters I spent at Minot, ND where a room mate I had was just down from Elmendorf and wanted to go back as soon as he got a good sample of Minot weather. Elmendorf at Anchorage has a milder winter than Minot. I was there 3 winters and it went below -40 every winter. I have been out in -47 (thermometer not wind chill). Luckily it doesn't usually get humid, have high wind, and super low temps all at the same time.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"