Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A completed project

Re: A completed project

Egon, The radiator caught my eye. Coal fired boiler? We lived in an old farmhouse converted to a duplex (immigrant Scotts sheep farmer owned bld and lived in other half. Steam heat with coal fired boiler in basement. I used to like finding fern fossils in the coal.

Was that stool the sort of thing you treasure limbs and such as wood sources for? I wish I had a cheap way of sending you some of our cedar. Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas (at least) are under assault by a plague of eastern red cedar. There are Federal Government as well as state programs to subsidize their removal as they are taking over crop and grazing acreages at an alarming rate.

My neighbors have offered me all I will take. I have plenty of my own in number but not in size. I try to find samples at least a foot in diameter at the short end of a 10 ft or larger butt. I don't have many like that and the few I know about are in "scenic" locations and are protetected by she who like "those Christmas trees." So I am forced to go a begging among friends and neighbors. Now that I have permission to take them, I have a temporary problem (the hand thing) but will be getting to it as soon as I can. Already, this afternoon I can almost type normally (OK would you believe normal for me?) wth the right hand and that is an improvement over this morning.

Seeing that cute stool has inspired me. I think I will go try to assemble the Alaskan mill.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

Oil fired hot water heating and domestic water heating on demand. Propane fireplace insert on main floor. Keep thinking about repalcing the propane with a wood burning insert.

Also want to make some additions to the radiators as inlet and outlet lines to the furnace always seem the same temp.

We got 68 acres of wood land as wood source.

Those chair legs are examples of pruned off beach limbs which would be considered scrap.

Been trying to copy some pictures but having a terrible time with quality.

Egon

Very nice craftsmanship Egon. My picture quality is poor but it looks like slight taper on grooved legs, with tight mortise and tennon joints......and approx 120 tacs? Looks solid and comfy for the grandkids, eh!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a blessed day,
    roy

That's right Roy. There is also a blind mortice and tenon diagonal brace inside each corner. Legs have slight taper at bottom. Beading has a few oppsis.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We've had some moderate successes with pulling in new wiring by connecting the old wire to it and coaxing the old out and the new in. Luckily, the house (Circa 1900) was wired in the forties from the top down so the attic access is real good (single story) It doesn't help if there IS no outlet of course, but at least upgrading the existing stuff to grounded receptacles is doable if the old wiring isn't stapled to the studs. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Nice project, Ergon......wayyyyy beyond my woodskill level; wayyyyy beyond. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Thank you CJ. The project Is very simple if one has tools.

The wire replacement is one I do not look forward to. No attic as that is the master bedroom. Mostly interior walls to deal with.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Some of the new "add in" boxes are a pleasure to use. I've been able to cut into lath and plaster with a Rotozip and then perch the box using the tricky box mechanism provided. Then it is a matter of getting the drill up from below to enter the right wall cavity. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You can use the 14/3 w/g romex which is quite small and very round-shaped which helps too. Then split the hots to make two circuits to one plug or one set in a quad box. Remember that if the hots are the same leg the neutral is divided between the two loads. If the hots are different legs, it's like having a neutral for each circuit. I've also used a flex cable out of a speedometer, chucked in a drill to wind around and "find" it's way into a drilled passage, then use that to pull the wire in. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It just takes time.....one at a time......you'll get them eventually. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave