Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandfathers tools

Re: Grandfathers tools

Egon,
    Great to see the old tools in good shape and getting some use. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Larry

I've seen them used to make the "rustic" furniture. The old tools seem to get the job done.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

In a lot of cases, the old tools are the only ones that will do the job. Rustic furniture can be made without them, but the quality of it is much lower. It's hard to cut good round tenons with a saw and knife. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Some stuff like chair legs can be thrown on a lathe, but if it's not relatively round, it's hard to handle. I've made a few stool legs by splitting a piece of firewood off a block and chucking it in the lathe, turning the whole leg smooth. I used green wood and turned it real slow. Even then the vibration was scary enough to make me change my pants. Much better to just use the auger. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Steve

I turned a bowl on my lathe a while back out of green oak. I was quite suprised to get wet from the moisture. I always wear a full face shield when turning, but there was water on the shield. That said, the green oak cut very nicely with the gouge. As the oak dried out the bowl warped some, which was the idea. After it dried I chucked the rim on a faceplate with a Nova chuck and flattened the bottom.
    Gary

I actually prefer to do a lot of projects with the green wood. It cuts so much easier. Warping can be a problem, but I understand it depends to an extent on how fast the wood dries. I've read recommendations that sealing the end grain with melted wax will keep the piece from warping. Haven't tried it myself yet though.

Steve

The neat thing about the green oak bowl I made is that folks can't figure out how I turned an oval on my lathe. I just tell them it's all in the wrist!
    Gary