Thread: Can't wait!

Can\'t wait!

It's been so wet so far that I haven't been able to work up the garden for the early stuff. St. Pat's day is going to come and go with no potatoes in the ground! I'd just make mud balls if I tilled, but I did go out today and tore the ground up with my middle buster. If it was dry for about 2-3 more days I could probably till, but it's supposed to rain this afternoon. I really only planned to dig a couple of trenches for a new asparagus bed, but that only took a minute, so I went ahead and tore up the whole garden site. Won't do much good I suppose, but at least the dirt is showing now. By the way, my favorite site about growing asparagus is:

web page

Probably because it calls for the least work. After digging the trenches, I read that site again and found I was pushing the time on the asparagus planting. I'll wait about a month. Then I get to dig the trenches again!

Chuck

Re: Can\'t wait!

You are lucky that you can even think about working the soil this soon.

My brother started a lot of items in the greenhouse already. But the soil will not be ready to be tilled until I get back in mid April.

Re: Can\'t wait!

I'm excited about gardening this year too. The farmer who's rented my farmland for the last 4 years is moving.. so I had to get another renter.. I rented it out to a young farmer.. minus two large fields that are beside the house & barn. Every year my garden had gotten larger.. mostly because I was planting a lot of corn w/ a JD 2row corn planter.. this year I guess I'm super sizing!

I had been waiting for it to get dry enough for a real test for a refurbished 2 bottom plow I had been working on. Last Sat. I plowed for 2 1/2 hours.. then again on Sunday for another 2 hours. I was surprised the ground was just right for plowing.. the plows piled the dirt up about 18 inches.. I was plowing in soybean stubble. By Tues. morning... it was covered w/ a couple inches of snow.

What got me going was I had gotten a great deal on an Oliver 76 Superior Grain Drill.. old but in great shape. I had been looking at 3pt spreaders for reseeding the hay field in front of the barn.. but the drill not only has grain box & fert. box.. but a separate grass seed box too!

I started raising 6 Holstein steers last fall.. w/ the spring calves.. I now have 9. That.. w/ the super sized garden.. I think my docket will be pretty full this summer. Here's a
    picture of some of the boys.. the field behind them is one
    of fields I'll be taking over.