Thread: pole barn disassembly

pole barn disassembly

Planning to rebuild my 30x40 lofted with side shed rooms cow barn on concrete slab and want to reuse the poles, creating a workshop. My question is what's the best way to get them pulled up? They have been in the TN clay dirt for about 12 years. A 14ton crane rents for around 70.$/hr but I still need to soften and dig around the base and right now is a good time to do it as the ground is wet (cold) and plyable. Any help is much appreciated. (was gonna do steel bldg but decided to redo what I have as it has a loft....grandbabies you know) ...This is my first loggon to site ...empressive thus far..Lots of info to gleen... Thanks

Re: pole barn disassembly

Just get a backhoe and dig them out for $30/hour.

Well, Doc I never thought about that....You're right, not only a lot less involved, simpler but cheaper as well.. I plan to have 36ft clear span on ground floor which will also have the loft supported along entire length and gambrel roof as well. I'm thinking of using steel I beam as even a good 15-20" dia pole wouldn't have the support strength on the smaller end...Thanks for the suggestion with backhoe.

Hey, Cowboydoc
    I just got approved for variance on my barn project (to build bigger) Will be drawing permit soon..... progress on it is going slow.... I'ld like to have slab poured before taking old one apart...but .....now gettin ready for JCAHO inspection at work and spendin lots of extra time on that......Have a blessed day,
    rg

I just started on an addition to my horse pole barn. My existing one is 86x120 and I'm going to add on another 80'. Best of luck to you. Luckily around here you can do whatever you want and don't need any kind of a permit as long as it is on farm ground.