Thread: Need window information

Need window information

We are building a home and have to make the window decision soon. Have looked at Anderson 400 series, Marvin Integrity, Peachtree and Pella Proline. Any information on these or other brands of double hung would be appreciated.

Tim

Re: Need window information

I have been window shopping windows and look at the ads/web sites in the various home magazines. The Marvin Integry, I believe is a fiberglass pultrusion frame. This is leading/cutting edge window frame material. Has coefficient of expansion almost the same as the glass, is totally weather resistant and can be painted. I don't know how these price out, afraid to ask. The others, I am not sure but think are clad wood frames, more maintenence? Viny (PVC) is going to be number 1 in market share presently. I think given time and more production facilities fiberglass will replace vinyl's popularity in 5-10 yrs. These name brands are going to carry a price for the "Name". Look at Pat's window thread, Pat's window selection he has some good links for information on rating and standards, what specifications are needed for your particular climate, etc.

I'm not much help but will be watching the replies too.

I do like the Marvin windows and the Integrity price out about the same as the Anderson 400 series.

The Pella Proline double hungs are about ten percent more. I have more prices coming in and hope to get a lower bid on the Pella.

I may be a little late on this thread, but here goes anyway. I just finished building a house and went through the task of shopping for windows. I went to the National Fenstration Rating Council's (http://www.nfrc.org/) website and found out about the various ways that windows are rated for effiency. I was then amazed at how many window mfgs don't even make these ratings available on their websites and was also amazed at how many folks selling windows didn't know what the ratings for their windows are. Long story short, I didn't buy the most expensive windows, but was able to compare them apples to apples based on the NFC ratings. Most important thing (in my humble opinion) GET LOW E GLASS!! We bought all of our windows with Low E glass, but our sliding French Door didn't come with it and it is VERY noticeable with the afternoon sun shining in.

Good luck.
    Scott

I recommend Low E2 vice Low E. Watch the SHGC ratings as well as VT depending on your needs. U-value (reciprical of R-value) is also of interest.

Depending on or location, orientation, and climate you may not benefit from Argon fill. Because something has better ratings doesn't mean it is a better deal. Higher performance is good only if it saves enough energy to make up for its increased cost. If it offsets enough A/C load or heating costs or whatever to give a payback well under its expected lifetime then it might be a good deal but if these criteria are not met then it is NOT a good deal.

There are a plethora of good windows being made. What sets Marvin, Anderson, Pella, etc apart is name recognition based on high cost advertising and promotion. I guarantee these companies ship some junk (windows and doors with gross manufacturing errors) along with the good stuff. If you aren't looking for name dropping rights at the country club, shop around, surf the web, talk to knowledgeable contractors.

I bought Simonton windows from Norandex in Oklahoma City. Great windows, good price, good warranty and not likely you have ever heard of them. I got Low E2 with Argon. They were not the cheapest line within the brand nor the cheapest brand (still acceptable to knowledgeable builders) from Norandex.

There are other sources making good windws, lots of them. The cost of many good windows is in the materials and labor, not INTERGALACTIC ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS!!! Buying the BIG names is not a guarantee of a better window, or even a good window in all cases.

Lowe's will sell you some mediocre windows with Pella in the name. Folks will line up to buy them because of thle name. I looked, I didn't buy. I didn't see the value in excess of name recognition.

Proper installation is a very important part of the windows performance. The best window improperly installed will be out performed by a marginal window installed properly.

Best of luck to all window seekers!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"