Thread: Distance farming....

Distance farming....

I have 15 acres about 40 minutes from my house. Man, that is great! I have some cattle on the land, and they can pretty much care for themselves. I get out there on weekends. Wlak the land, check the fence, feed the fish in the pond, maybe brush-hog, all around have fun!
    Not being content with my little bit of success, I am thinking pork. How can I raise a pig like this. It seems they need to be penned up and cared for daily. Has anyone tried to do this successfully? The thought intrigues me....

thanx

Re: Distance farming....

So who gets the cows in when they get out. They will eventually get out. Do they have a constant source of water?

If your neighbors are covering for you I would suggest a present of a quarter side of beef each year.

Fortunately, the fence is good, the cattle are timid, and the neighbors are great [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. He grazes his cattle with mine...

Keep the pig in the garage, feed and water there during the week, and then take it with you to the farm on weekends for a walk, and a little farm exercise. Then back home for a 'work' week. Pretty straight forward. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww....!!! My wife and homeowners association will NOT put up with that! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The idea of having a pig is that we have it far away. Sounds like it is not doable. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]