Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goat farming income?

Re: Goat farming income?

John, if I'm not mistaken, there was a time when the mohair sold for a good price, and there were even government programs to aid the goat farmers, just as there are for many other farmers, but it was because there was a great demand for the mohair for military uniforms, but those programs ended when the military quit using it for uniforms, and the bottom just about fell out of the market. And now I've forgotten where I read about that, so can't swear it's true, but I think that's what happened.

Just for general interest, I'll ask the mohair producers on the military link. I remember the Marine Corps 'horseblanket greens' the old salts used to wear in the late 60's. Maybe that's where they got the unusual appearance-seemed like they were bulkier, longer whitish fibers involved with the green.

While looking into the longhair goat question, I found this posting at the Goat Information Network.
    http://members4.boardhost.com/goatlady/msg/128.html

I am clearing out my fiber goat herd, going to just keep dairy from here on out. I have some white cashgora goats for sale in Western Washington:

End of quote-sounds like this lady might have more input on the question I raised-will contact her and try to get more on the subject.

John

Don't forget about ebay. There's a whole bunch of handspinners out there that will pay good money for good quality (clean) fiber. Probably the best route to go if you are trying to make an income on it.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

John, we have one Angora goat, and we can't even GIVE her fiber away. At least around here, there's no market for it.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Goats with berry bushs and fruit threes... hope you have a good fence [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Depending on where you live (your profile didn't say) and what breed you have you can get about 7-8 goats per acre. Not many goats for 3.5 ares. Hope that is the info you are looking for. You could get some decent income if doing Fullblood breeding stock but a living would be real tuff unless you raise the best and make the rounds for shows.