Thread: Advice on barn relocation

Advice on barn relocation

I know, I know, I'm probably asking for trouble, and might have bitten off more than I can chew, but since this site seems to be populated with staunch do-it-yourselfers I'm hoping I'll get some leads....

My wife and I have located an old timberframe barn we want to relocate to our property to replace the one that used to be here. I'm planning on attempting this task myself (with help obviously) rather than hire one of the "Barn Restorers" you see all over the internet (don't get me started on THOSE guys, lets just say lawyers, accountants, etc).

Anyway, I've been looking all over for information on the process, and have read everything I can find. I have several timberframing books, and have read several accounts of relocations done locally. I'm feeling fairly confident I can handle the project, but if anybody has any onther sources of information PLEASE feel free to clue me in to them.

I figure I can't have too much info for a project like this.

I also plan to contact some of the local "historic" organizations to solicit some volunteer (and maybe experienced) help once I'm ready to disassemble and move the frame.

Thanks

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Advice on barn relocation

I'd check out this site for more info...

http://www.agriculture.com/barnagain/awards.html

Re: Advice on barn relocation

You might make some contact among the Amish. There are still a few barn builders there and the youngsters hire out for summer and work hard.

Steve