Thread: setting barn posts in dry cement

setting barn posts in dry cement

anybody have any thoughts on setting pole barn posts with two 80lb. bags of dry cement and letting the moisture from the ground harden the cement, does this work as good as premixed cement, or at least good enough? i've got no water source out to where i'm building at, Troy

Re: setting barn posts in dry cement

Ive done it depending on the time of year. In the spring i dont premix. I know alot of people who never pre mix, but i just cant do it if its real dry out. everyone claims you can though
    Larry

I would caution you on dry concrete for pole barn posts. Remember, the concrete is the footing that supports the building. Would you pour a basement wall with dry concrete mix?
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You asked that same question over on TractorByNet. You seemed to get alot of good feedback from that question.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I just tore out the endwall on one of my barns to add 100' to it. We had put a bag of concrete in each hole except two. The two without the concrete came out pretty easy. The seven posts with concrete were very difficult to get out. When they came out the concrete we had put in was just like you had mixed it and poured it in. It does work just putting it in dry like you had done it wet for sure.