Thread: PTO Chipper

PTO Chipper

Does anyone recommend a chipper that could attach to the tractor's PTO? Would this be a waste of a good tractor?

Re: PTO Chipper

I would die for one. I think a good one with hydraulic feed goes for 6-7k (which aint bad as a stand alone unit of similar capacity would probably be twice as much). But it's low on the priority list so it'll have to wait. There's a lot of good threads over on TBN about them. People seem to like them.

PTO chippers are great. I can't afford one, so I suffer with a little MTD 10hp model I picked up at Home Deposit. Works, but to use it is a lot of...well, work. But they are pricey, although less than standalone chippers of equivilant capacity. TBN has lots of threads about them.

>>Does anyone recommend a chipper that could attach to the tractor's PTO? Would this be a waste of a good tractor?

Defintely not a waste of a good tractor. I have a big Woods 8100 hydraulic feed 8 inch chipper I use on the back of my JD5410 (its a big chipper, requires a big tractor). Overall it is one of my favorite atachments (and by far the most expensive). Nice thing about a PTO chipper is you don't need to maintain a whole sperate engine, so eery time I use it, it works perfectly.

Its amazing how much clearing you can get done in a short time when you can move the chipper up real close to the work site. The hydraulic feed also make short work of most tasks. You feed a piece in, while it is being processed you go and get the next piece...saves a lot of time. Sometimes I put in 30-40 foot long trees and it chipps up the whole thing without a problem. The real limit of the chipper is how much I can lift into the chute, not how much it can handle.

Like others have said, they can be quite pricey(especially in this size, and with a hydaulic feed), but properly maintained it should last my lifetime I would think.

I found a really good discussion on PTO Chippers at TractorByNet. See http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...t=all&vc=1

Also look at http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...t=all&vc=1

I own a bearcat 9" hyd fed chipper. As far as I am concerned it is the only way to go if you do any off road chipping. You can chip anywhere you can take the tractor, it will save you hours of dragging limbs to the chipper.

I have a 5" bearcat and love it also.