Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chain saw lumber and mills

Re: Chain saw lumber and mills

It's a home made one. Easy to make. As mentioned there are commercial ones available. Sometimes called edgers. They usually use a channel that fits over a quide bar [ 2x4] and are bolted to the bar with no drilling required.

I've shown a picture of mine. It can be bolted to the saw bar on either side. Bar must be drilled.
    I'm going to build a new one that has more lateral stability.

Egon

DanG Egon, If'n I knew y'all were gonna post everything from Malloff's book, I could'a saved a hundred dollars. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Slamfire:

I got about 30 feet of 30 in. dia. fresh cut maple to work with. It's gona be fun when I can get to it. Saw's to small and only got a 22 in. blade.

Egon

Egon, I got my Alaskan mill assembled. I have a used thrashed Husky 394XP with 32 inch bar in the repair shop geting checked over, new air filter, replacing missing screws etc. The shop owner says the chain is in OK condition and the bar is pretty good and the sprocket is real good. He recommends that I use a new chain till things wear down to "fit" the more worn chain then I'll have two chains to use.

The chain is the square sided type which he claims will do OK as a ripper. Any thoughts? I was inclined to get a true ripping loop.

A neighbor recently gave me two 10ft hickory logs a bit under a foot in diameter. I wanted do keep them from drying prematurely before getting the mill set up so I dropped them in a pond.

To avoid a mud mess I dropped them in from a dam into deeper water. I didn't know that hickory logs only cut for two weeks wouldn't float! I don't know how far down the slope underwater they rolled.

I will have to go diving to put a rope on them. I don't mind doing it with breath hold dives down to 15 20 feet but visibility might be an issue and I'll have to use gloves and feel my way down the slope. I haven't used my hookah rig for years but I guess this is a good time to try it out again.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Again Pat I would say the shop fellow has much more knowledge than myself. Just ensure you are using the proper file when sharpening and get more than one. If you are not satisfied with the chain they can always be replaced with one of your choice and then relegated for ugly work.

Egon

Pat........you interested in selling your hooka rig when through with it? I have been trying ot find a used rig, and you aren't too awfully far away. mike [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Well I hadn't given it much thought but I don't think so. After all what I have is only a 50 ft hose mounted between the first and second stage regulators so you don't have to carry the bottle on your back. Keene Industries who caters to gold prospectors sells the hose. The regulators haven't been used in quite a while and may not be in good shape. I could end up just going breath-hold with a snorkel.

Arrowheaddigger, now there is a handle. My wife would be jealous, she would love to be able to find some arrowheads. Any tips/suggestions?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"