Thread: Snapping turtle

Snapping turtle

The other day, on our quiet and secluded cove, we spotted a snapping turtle. Fairly large (shell 20-22" long), and pronounced ridges on the back so we think it's an alligator snapper rather than a common snapper. First time we've seen one since we've owned the place. We don't swim too much out there, so no real problem. The only thing I worry about is the ducks. For the first time, we have wood ducks in the cove and I think they are nesting. This is something that the Texas Parks and Wildlife has been encouraging since they have placed nesting boxes around. I e-mailed them but so far no response. I thought about just shooting the thing but I hear they are a "threatened" species. Any experiences with snappers out there?

Re: Snapping turtle

Can you get a picture of it?

Here is a site (several come up on google search) that tells the differences from the common snapper.

http://www.tortoise.org/archives/macrocl.html

Not sure the alligator snapper will eat the ducks, because it has a worm-like tongue that it uses to catch food. But, maybe you could trap it and hold it during the period of time the young wood ducks leave their nest. Seems they move out of the nest and are pretty safe from turtles, although the adults might have to worry a bit. Snappers hafta eat too. Appears they are not endangered. Maybe it would be good to eat?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll sort of echo Beenthere. Everything has its place in the food chain, whether we recognize it or not. A resource may be Pond Boss magazine. I chatted with editor one time; he's a knowledgeable guy. Turtles can wreak havoc, but they lead a life to be envied. I could lie on a log most of the day, soaking up the sun.

Killing it to protect the ducklings may be a bit extreme when you could catch or trap it and relocate it if you determine on advice of competent authority that it is a clear and present danger to the ducks. I am in favor of "helping" some species who are struggling, especially if we are the reason they are in trouble. I prefer to not wage a genocidal war against all species potentially able to harm the ones I choose to assist.

If there were no other choice and you had to choose turtle vs the ducks, it would be a hard choice.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Now in these parts folks noodle snappers and eat them. Not exactly sure what type of snappers are in east Kentucky but they can be found in farm ponds and streams everywhere.

A snapper and wipe out a pond. Usually if there's one snapper, there's another one too.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor