Thread: Dog in Heat!

Dog in Heat!

Recently adopted a young, yellow lab from a neighbor (neighbor out here being 'relative' - could be from 1 mile to 7 miles away). Anyway, the pup's birthday and first heat coincided - she's doing pretty well, but I don't recall the spotting lasting more than a week (from past dogs) nor do I recall the stinkiness! Poor dog is starting to respond to the name 'Stinky'! Soon as this is over, she's getting fixed (husband says that anything that smells like that is surely broken!). Now, I've been checking her, washing her up, putting on her cute little boxer shorts, etc. but she is still pungent! Is this 'normal' or is normal 'relative' to breed? Last time I smelled anything/anyone quite like this was when I lived in Mexico and had maids whose 'hygiene' was not quite up to U.S. 'standard'. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Dog in Heat!

Check to see if her anal gland is clogged. It may be a coincidental issue.

Re: Dog in Heat!

Thanks for the response. Seems to have worked itself out. Guess it was a 'woman thing'. She must be a really 'hot mama' because she's got my neutered male going - humping like a fiend last night (good thing he's alot shorter than her!). After last night, she's fine, go figure. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]