Thread: Animal Fertilizer?

Animal Fertilizer?

Folks,
    I came across an unlimited supply of horse manure from a farm. Was wondering if this is as good or better on the garden as Cow Manure? I won't be putting any on the garden this year but will probably stock pile it and then next spring put some on and till it in. I don't want any pathogens around the vegs. this year.

Is a year long enough for the manure to break down?

Shawn

Re: Animal Fertilizer?

I've been using horse manure extensively in the wife's flower beds and garden. It needs to be aged and composted. The composting and aging process will sterilize the weed seeds and allow the urine salts to leach out so it won't burn your plants.

I just pile it in a corner of the pasture (2 pickup bed loads), throw on some 10-10-10 fertilizer (40 lbs.), mix in some soil (1/2 - 1 yard) and turn it with a front end loader every 4 weeks. I usually turn it after it rains to help get the moisture into the pile. It really heats up when the composting process gets going. A year is plenty of time. When it stops smelling like manure, it's usually done.

Re: Animal Fertilizer?

It's great in the garden and yard but let it bake a while via composting. The seeds from the weeds and grasses will bake.
    Welcome to composting. It can be as easy or hard as you want. Just make a huge pile of the manure turn it over from time to time...add a little...take a little... it's natures taking care of nature. Sound like a bunch of crap cause it is!
    Bo McCarty, Realtor