Thread: what implements do I need to plant milo?

Hybrid View

what implements do I need to plant milo?

I recently bought a place in the country with 5 acres. I have an old moline tractor with around 65 hp that I use with a box blade the road with. I would like to plant milo on my land to posiibly graze a cow or two on and to have a good place to hunt dove. I don't ever plan on harvesting it just letting it grow, cut it down, and turn a couple cows on it.

I assume I need a plow, disc, and grain drill? Farming is completely new to me so I am unsure of what all equipment I need. This is mainly going to be for fun and I am not trying to make a profit at it but at the same time I don't want to spend more money on implements thatn I have to.

Re: what implements do I need to plant milo?

Whats on the land now and what shape is it in.

Egon

About half the land is in winter wheat planted by the previous owner. The other half was just bare ground that I recently leveled with my box blade. The land is square with an outer perimeter fence and my house in the center with a fence around it and the road leading to my house.

Perhaps you could get by with just a harrow and broad cast the seed. Harrow, broadcast and then harrow again. 5 acres isn't really hard to broadcast.

Egon

Is it just me or does anyone else think there will be problems trying to sustain 2 cows on less than 5 acres eating what milo or winter wheat the wildlife doesn't get or doesn't spoil in the filed. Won't there be a supplemental feeding program required? Maybe I'm pout of touch with the fertility/productivity of land there but it seems overly optimistic. What about in winter?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

As it's out of my climatic zone I'll plead Ignorance. I was just comenting on the method of planting.

Egon