Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albino deer ?

Albino deer ?

They have been wandering around the subdivision for about a month and a half. This morning they showed up about 50' from the house. Looks like a male, female, & fawn? The more I look at the pictures the more they don't look like deer. They seemed pretty comfortable coming close to the house and weren't to bothered by the dog barking. Heck, they even went and check out our pot bellied pig. I'm sure he was freak'n out.

Re: Albino deer ?

Here's a little better shot.

Let me try again.

And baby makes three.

Oh, also I live about in Magnolia,TX.

Looks to me like a hybred deer of some sort . Do you have any exotic game ranches close too you ? I bet that's where they came from .
    BigAl

I have a friend in Houston, and she sent me a picture of an exotic deer her brother had hunted North of Houston. Wasn't like anything I've ever heard of that would be natural in the US. I live in North Georgia, and there are a couple ranches with exotic deer. I would say they escaped from a hunting/game preserve.

Have a great day, Les
    NRA Life Member

We have white tail deer in WVa and occasionally(rarely) you hear of an albino deer or a piebold. I am a deer hunter but personally I do not think an albino or piebald should be allowed to be harvested during hunting season or any other time.
    Albino/piebald deer

Their eyes look black in the one photo which would mean they are just white whitetails. They have all the same features of a albino minus the pink eyes and they are all over the US now as they have gained a lot of popularity in the deer industry. They are not as rare as a black whitetail which is extremly rare. Most likely some farmer got them and they got loose or he just let them loose. You do not see deer travel in family groups like that (I mean you will not see a buck travel with a doe and fawn). They are probably sticking together because they are familiar with each other and are staying together for comfort and safety. At least till they are use to being outside of a fence and the rut kicks in.

They're fallow deer. Very popular lately on Texas game ranches. Ranch behind ours as a ton, same color as your photos. I believe they come in several different colors, but the white is all I've seen. Several have gotten out on to our property and behave like you described. My understanding is they are farmed in Europe and the main source of commercial venison because they are calmer and easier to herd than whitetail or other wild deer. Ours come much closer to the house than any whitetail would and are very calm. They're not the greatest fence jumpers. And they seem certain that no one can see them in the dark. Guess they don't know they all but glow in the dark with the white coat. Hope this answers your question.