Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Albino deer ?

Re: Albino deer ?

They are not fallows, they are white whitetails. I know, had a white fawn born yesterday. Pic is of her with momma

Nice photo. They wouldn't be considered albinos would they? The nose looks pretty pink.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

A white whitetail is identical to an albino except for the eyes. We have white whitetails (they can come from brown deer who have white genetics as well). THis fawns mom was bred by a white buck. She had a brown buck fawn as well so there is no telling what color the fawns will be when they are born. Now the brown buck could possibly breed a brown doe and have a white fawn still (just not as good a chance).

The white whitetail baby is a cutie. I don't think we have them in South Texas yet. Have read articles about them and their popularity in the Northern states. I've been reading the boards here for a long time and just recently decided to post something when I thought I might actually be able to contribute. Was looking for info on the monster centipede that I saw on my back porch last week and ran across the Albino Deer thread. Anyway, back to the point. When I saw the original poster's pics of the deer, they look identical to the fallows we have running around in our area. I'm going to try to attach some bad pictures from the rut last year. The bucks are usually all white, but get real dirty when they're rutting. These deer are bigger-bodied than the standard Texas whitetail--the males have palmated (sp?) antlers--the babies and yearlings are a cream color and don't turn completely white until their 2nd year--they have a funny hop they do when they run. The ones that have escaped the game ranch behind us stay in a tight group, boys and girls, and don't run with the whitetail. Actually, they'd like to be back on the ranch that they came from with the rest of their herd, I just haven't figured out how to get them back there. They've been really interesting to watch. Fax's deer could be either--they way he described them just made me think of the fallow. The antlers will be the sure way to tell.

I think that without being there and the fact the pictures don't show the color the best either one of us can be right. I did not realize your fallow deer were so white down there. Up here the fallows have more brown in them (hard to describe but they are more of a dirty white/white mix). There are white whitetails in Texas though. I wonder what farms are around the area the picture was taken, that would be the easiest way to find out what they are as they are not native there. Nice picture of the fallows. They are interesting animals but something I have never got into much. We have a couple Fallow farms around here but they have not caught on like the whitetail deer have yet. Take care and have fun.

I think I saw the same deer. Only two though. Got one picture but not as good as yours. I live off 1488, 2 miles west of Magnolia.

That may be them I haven't seen them since I took those pictures back in March. Haven't traveled too far I live about 2.5 miles north of 1488 off of 1774.

I received this anonymous flyer in my mail box yesterday.

"I just wanted to say something about our special neighborhood deer. I know some of you were feeding them and a lot of us really enjoyed watching them when they visited. I know I looked forward to seeing them, and my dog would go out and play with them.

They are not around anymore. Incase any of you do not know about it, one of our neighbors took it upon himself to shoot all three of them. Yah!- dropped all three right there in his yard because they were chewing the bushes he planted. What kind of person does it take to shoot three special deer for chewing bushes planted on the land they were living on before this person built his house on it? This guy must think he is very very special, that he can take away the lives of these beautiful deer and deprive those of us who enjoyed watching them visit us. We watched for them every day, they were very special.

This was a very selfish, mean spririted, sad, sad, thing to do. Please leave the wildlife alone and let the rest of us enjoy it.

If you can not live peacefully with the wildlife here, you moved to the wrong area. Go to the city."

I think someone may be yanking somebody's chain.

That is sad. What a short sighted mean spirited bozo. We had to settle for an albino squirrel but several of the subs working at our house site wanted to shoot it. The GC explained to them it would be a very very bad idea. The squirrel hasn't been sighted for months and we don't know what happened but we also don't know where it came from as it ust showed up and hung out in a hollow tree for a few months.

Why do you suspect chain yanking? Have you seen the deer since the note was delivered? Oh by the way, it is a federal violation for anyone to open your maibox and insert a note.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I don't know, I haven't seen them since March and they moved around the neighborhood quite a bit maybe they relocated? For some reason I can picture 2 neighbors talking. One, the author of the flyer, commenting how they liked having the deer around and was wondering where they went to and the other neighbor saying, just to yank their chain, Oh BTW I shot'm. Yah dropped all three with one shot!.

I'm sure the author knew it was a federal violation too thus no signature

Hope it's not true because I laughed pretty hard when I thought about it. That doesn't make me a bad person does it?