Thread: Anyone have home remidies for rose diseases?

Anyone have home remidies for rose diseases?

I have 4 new rose bushes and I've never tried my hand at them before. All but one have a black fungus and white moldy spots. The stores are rediculous in the prices they want me to pay for disease controll! Are there any home remidies to cure my poor bushes?!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    -Kri

Re: Anyone have home remidies for rose diseases?

My dad grows roses for shows. It's work.
    You first must get on a weekly spray regimen using Orthenex (or similar). Orthenex is a miticide, insecticide and fungicide.
    Rose get all kinds of fungus' and insects/mites. Spray in the morning. Use a pump sprayer and don't forget to spray under the leaves. I spray the undersides first (starting at the bottom) then spray the tops from the top down.
    Keep all rose leaves out of the bed. Do not let any stay on the ground. Do not put these in the mulch pile. Throw them away.
    Regular deadheading keeps the bushes healthy.
    Prune so the branches re-grow facing west or southwest.
    Plant bushes at least 3 feet apart for good air flow.
    Roses like water.
    Roses like fertilizer.
    Roses like good, well-drained soil.
    For soil, use 1/3 sand; 1/3 native soil; 1/3 organic (1/2 of which should be peat).
    To keep the soil in good condition, we mix these in the first 2 inches or so of soil on a regular basis:
    mushroom compost, hardwood mulch, sand, peat, gypsum, fertilizer and lime.

More info can be obtained from The American Rose Society or the Charlotte Rose Society.
    Chances are, your area probably has a Rose Society.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Re: Anyone have home remidies for rose diseases?

Hey thanks! It sounds like roses are a lot of work but well worth it. They are one of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen and caring for them will be a great joy. I guess all the work makes you appreciate roses even more. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    -Kri