Thread: remote phone service ?

remote phone service ?

Anyone have any ideas for phone service in a remote area of Idaho . The local phone company wants a fortune to set up service and celluar does not work even though we are on top of a mountain . We are only there about 6 months a year and want to keep the same phone number without having to pay for service for the 6 months were gone . Any Ideas???
    Thanks ,
    Big Al

Re: remote phone service ?

You'll probably want to look at satellite communications. That is how I do my high speed internet, so you might consider some kind of internet connection and use VOIP (voice over I/P), although there are some serious drawbacks to that technique. The other option would be a true satellite phone - but they are a bit on the pricy side to use (kind of like cellular was back when it was new).

Microwave communications might be an option, too. I don't know if it is a viable option for home use, but the big carriers use microwave towers instead of running lines. Not sure, but thought I'd throw the idea out there...

Re: remote phone service ?

BigAl, As chris mentioned the satellite service can be had at a resonable price,My parents were looking into cell phones but where they live the Verizon service didn't work too well,so they went to look at AT&T satellite service which was priced very close to verizons service for 2 phones long distance included no extra charge. But it seems that satellite service worked well while they were outside it lost some quality and also would drop the call when indoors..
    I guess they can't use the amount of watts reqiured to maintain signal quality without cooking your brain!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Its always a trade off [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    But maybe high on the mountain like your are it might work just fine , Make it known when you shop for your service that if it doesn't work where you need it that you will return it and they should take it back no harm no foul...

WHAT we have hear is a FAILURE to COMMUNICATE!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]