Thread: Tofu recipes

Tofu recipes

My doctor tells me I eat too much red meat and that I should eat more veggies and veggie-based foods like tofu. So I've been looking for ways to make tofu taste like something other than sludge. So far I've discovered that the Silken brand that comes in those little cardboard boxes in the supermarket is beyond redemption. It is slime, and in my book it will never be anything but slime. But the bulk tofu -- the stuff that comes in big buckets in health food stores -- is much more palatable and manages to not self-destruct in the skillet.

So far I've made some pretty good meals by marinating cubes of tofu in spicy buffalo wing sauce. But the act of frying that up fills the kitchen with an aerosol of spices that clear the sinuses, send the dogs running for cover, and make me choke and turn funny colors. There has to be something less hot and spicy that can actually result in some decent meals.

Any ideas out there?

Pete

Re: Tofu recipes

Hey, Boondox. The bulk of me says I should be eating more tofu, but I haven't in years. When I did, I used it in place of cheese in some recipes. Also, use tofu to replace some (not necessarily all) of one of the meat ingredients.

You mean people actually eat that stuff? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Someone posted jerky recipes a while back, and there was one for tofu! I bet it tastes like whatever it is soaked in.

Got any hot-and-sour soup recipes? The ones I've had from restaurants often have some tofu in them.

Chuck