Thread: Weight loss in pregnant ewes

Weight loss in pregnant ewes

Two of my pregnant ewes are doing fine, but the third is losing mass. Her spine and hips have lost that fatty covering and are pretty prominent. She's a yearling, and hugely round with at least one lamb, though twinning runs in the line. I've been graining her as much as I feel comfortable with; any more and we'd run the risk of bloat. She doesn't like the higher protein grain.

Back in my Marine Corps days, for winter warfare training we'd often add sugar to our water. I was wondering if something like that might work for sheep. Maybe molasses or Karo syrup instead of granular sugar. Looking for a half step before resorting to propylene glycol. Any experience along those lines would be appreciated.

Pete

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Weight loss in pregnant ewes

Hi, Pete!! I have a simple suggestion that you have perhaps overlooked.

I know that you must be at least somewhat friendly with a veterinarian through your golden rescue. Why don't you ask the vet if this is normal. Right now, I don't know the answer, but one of my vets is making a farmcall at our place later this week, and I'll try to remember to ask her this question for you.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."