Thread: A $2000 Surprise

A $2000 Surprise

Hi All :

They say misery loves company, so I thought I'd share some misery with y'all.

The photo in the attachment is what I came home to today. This old Manitoba Maple was leaning over my 100-year old garage ever since I moved in here about 12 years ago. The wind was pretty high here today, and this was my reward when I got home! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

A tree service guy was working down the street and I collared him for a quick estimate - $2000 to cut down and remove in total. I really have little choice, as I couldn;t tackle this job. I will be getting another estimate, though. Wish me luck!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ian
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Re: A $2000 Surprise

Sorry. I'll try the attachment again.

Ian
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Ouch!

Egon

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Welcome to CBN, Ian!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck with the garage!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

<font color="blue"> Hoping to retire early and head to Nova Scotia. </font color>

Use the $2000 to get a jump start on Nova Scotia

Thanks for the welcome, Rich! I love this site, and TBN too!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm just glad the garage stayed standing! There's a crew coming tomorrow to "carefully remove" (that's what their quote said) the tree from the garage, cut it all up and take it all away. Thankfully the price from the second quote came in $300.00 lower. (Amazing how $1700 now sounds like a deal!!).

Al Wa, I just wish I could make the early getaway!! Earliest possible for retirement is 2 years away, unless I get an offer I'm not expecting!! And any more little surprises like this, I could find myself having to work longer to pay for them [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . Oh well, at least I'll get some more light onto the back deck.

Ian
    Ian M.

Won't your homeowner's insurance policy cover part of the damage?

Bob :

My home owner's policy has a $500 deductible and only pays if something was damaged. The tree itself was the only thing damaged, so no claim. (I made a call to inquire of my insurance company several years ago when a big tree came down at the back end of my yard. I ended up removing that one myself, but when insurance renewal time came around, they had made a note of my inquiry and from then on consider me a potential risk for having had the nerve to call and ask!!!) [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Ian M.

It is so nice to have all these big Oaks here but some day they may do just what your tree did ... This is a very nice looking place in large part due to the Oaks .... I hope that you don't find any damage to your garage and that the tree removal crew is able to avoid any further damage ... that's a nice old garage!
    Leo

Good news !!
    1. Tree is gone
    2. Garage is still standing (!!)
    3. It (only) cost $1800 (second estimate).

The bad part about spending money this way is that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for your money except more sunlight than before!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Ian M.