Thread: edging: aluminum? steel? Where to buy?

edging: aluminum? steel? Where to buy?

After months, our home is nearing completion; have 4' overhangs and the plan is to allow the water to fall on washed rock 5' from the house. We want metal edging around the circumference of the house and second garage (around 500 feet).

Any opinions on which type to use? Lowe's has some metal edging, but fairly pricey. Any way to get that much wholesale? It will all be straight with numerous corners to follow the perimeter at five feet from the house.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Re: edging: aluminum? steel? Where to buy?

Sorry. Try this picture from last fall.

Bill, I've had good luck with the plastic stuff (heaviest grade). Make sure you bury it deep enough and use plenty of stakes to hold it in place. It looks bad when it works it's way out but I've not had that problem. It's much cheaper than metal.

I used wood once along a brick walk. Won't do that again as it worked it's way up fairly quickly.

Steel does look nice but as you found it is pricey [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Bill:

Sure can't give any advice on the edging but I'm just about to put your rock seeds in the mail. Got to collect a few more quartz seeds as they are nice for landscaping. Too much snow this winter and now its quite muddy so it may take a little time.

Given patience and time the slate seeds may grow to a size that could be used for an edging.

Picture of some seeds planted a few years ago.

Egon

Egon, is that the appropriate sized furrow for seeding rocks in your picture? Nice crop! I don't grow them that big around our place but sure make up for it in quantity. This years harvest is just beginning to poke through [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob