Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roof shingles (installation)

roof shingles (installation)

Hello to all, I am a product off of the TBN and felt the country pangs banging at me for sometime now so I joined this one also!! OK now to my question, On regular 25-30yr. 3-tab shingles there is a cellophane strip on the back of every shingle which I assume is there so while the shingles are in the bundle they don't melt together .SO I think when they are installed you peel this strip off so the shingle can seal against the last row ...Correct or is that optional, Reason I ask is when we contracted our roofing job on our new constuction 7yrs ago I didn't climb up to inspect the job (my mistake thinking a contractor would know his business) but now it's been 7yrs and we live in a very windy region of md. I'm loosing shingles and I DON'T LIKE IT!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    SO I just want to know about the cellophane strip because I'm thinking that the shingles are getting fatigued flapping up and down finally tearing off!! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] bigtime thanks for your input Mark

Re: roof shingles (installation)

Good question, Mark. I'd like to know more about that myself. I don't think most roofers ever remove that cellophane strip, although when neighbors and I did our own roofing, we did.

I do beleive that strip should be removed.

Egon

I'm not absolutely sure on this but I believe you'll find the celophane strip lines up on the tar strip when the shingles are stacked in the bundle but when you lay them it will fall away from the tar strip. The strip normally sticks to the back of the shingle. If it sticks to the tar strip you would want to remove it. Take a look and let us know [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Carb 454

The cellophane does not have to be removed. While the shingles are in the bundle the cellophane lays on top of the thermo setting seals of the shingle below. ( You can see the spots on the shingle) When the shingles are layed on the roof the bottom of the tab lays on the thermo setting spots and theoretically seal down when the sun hits the roof. Several years back asbestos was removed from roof shingles. When fiberglass and other materials were substituted for the asbestos layer they initially had problems. You may have some of these shingles. Contact the manufacturer ( if they are still in business).

RonL

I believe the cellophane strip is the nailing strip. I think the strip is located where you nail and prevents the nails from pulling through. If I remember right, the glue tabs are at the trailing edge of the shingle and don't line up with the cellophane. My brothers a roofer, so I'll ask him tonight if somebody doesn't chime in with something definitive.

Thanks to all for the response and info ,I didn't check to see if they lined up with the self sealing spots when laid on roof .. I just know that when I was up on the roof last summer installing a different type ridge vent(the original was the aluminium cheaper model)with cap-over shingles when I was peeling that cellophane off it was tacky underneath so I thought maybe that should seal in conjuction with the sealer spots when laid too reinforce the seal...

On the ones I've done, we never pulled it off. So, I checked here certainteed and didn't see it in the installation instructions.

Yeah, I'm gettin' old and forgetful. Like I said, we removed the cellphane strips, but I remember now why some "professional" roofers said they don't, and it's as has been said in the above threads. I guess it really shouldn't make a difference.

All righty then , since I had the opportunity to climb up on the second story of my 7/12 pitched roof with 9or 10 /12 pitch front gable of course that was the location of the missing shingle,I took the time to check out my own question and come up with the answer(while my toes where digging into the soles of my shoes,and going numb)the strip has absolutely nothing to do with sealing, It appears as the strip might be a partial reinforcement to nailing line,and to keep shingles from sticking together in bundles,But I want to thank you all for your input ...Mark [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]