Thread: wasps

wasps

Any suggestions on what I can put in a good squirt gun to shoot up at the high overhangs to discourage the paper wasp from making nests. I've been throwing my hat up at them to get them fly away, they just keep coming back. I wonder if some soapy water of some kind might keep them from coming back It's too expensive to keep running back to buy wasp spray that does not do any better. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: wasps

They're gonna try to start nests.
    Once you see the paper, knock it down.
    This is best done during the day while they're out gathering.

Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Pine oil!

A lot of wasp and hornet sprays contain pine oil. I have some spray and if I spray the nest and one of the wasps who had been out foraging returns they just hover a little then go away.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I use Pinesol disinfectant diluted 50/50. Used antifreeze will also cause them to abandon the nest but I don't think it hurts the wasp much. The supersoaker squirt gun is an excellent idea for those way up in the rafters. Great sport swatting at the pests with badminton rackets and pingpong paddles this time of year.

There is an electric fly swatter that is also great sport with flying insects. It typically costs $9 and is not a useless toy as many anti-bug gadgets are. It looks like a small badmitton racket strung with wire. It is actually a small batery operated high voltage bug zapper that does a great job on a lot of pests.

Pinesol in a high powered water gun sounds like a very good idea if you can handle the odor better than your pests. Treating the nest is much more effective than fussing with individuals although not nearly as much fun.

They spend their time and energy building the nest and you render it uninhabitable and they go away and try again wherever where wherever may be a foot or a hundred yards away. A good pinesol residual could render a region undesireable to them (and a lot of folks with sensitive sniffers).

Good luck and be careful, it is possible to get hit by one of those little critters even when you think you are being clever. I shot 21 bumble bees out of the air one at a time with wasp and hornet spray, great fun, like an anti-aircraft battery or arcade game. One of the fallen fell on my ladder and when I climbed it I impaled my palm on his business end. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Welder,
    The power water gun trick filled with full strength amonia should knock um down and out. Do it at night when they are all back on the nest and resting (I don't think they sleep). For a couple years I didn't harvest pears and let them rot on the trees....food for over 200 wasps and they took over the place. I bought a bee keeper suit and now I see a few every now and again. But the main thing was I got rid of their food supply and now keep after and clean trees of anything gone bad. (Oh yeah, the bee suit kinda makes me a little cocky when after those critters but they don't seem to mind the white suit intrusion....good for me ...bad for them....
    God Bless,
    Roy