Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Forest land Fencing ideas?

Need Forest land Fencing ideas?

Hey all,
    spring is here, I think [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    I'm looking for ideas on fencing our mucho acreage with the following objectives;
    1) in the easy access areas, keep out and deter humans

2) mark clear very long boundry lines through the forest

3) allow wildlife to come and go, NOT humans on ATV, SNOWMOBILES, and 4x4's

4) do all the above without having to get a second mortgage or offer my first born [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I was thinking of using some of the slash to "pile up" in certain boundry lines like a "natural fence"

The other idea I had was using one or two strands of barbed wire running straight along the boundry lines, but I don't know if that will interfear with the wildlife movement. We have a lot of wildlife, bear, moose, deer, fox, coyote, that I WANT to allow back and forth through the property, it's the humans on machines that I want OUT. Any thoughts on this?

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Beetlebrain

Re: Need Forest land Fencing ideas?

Put the required "legal" signs up to keep out any trespassers - assumming that they can read. If they want to get on your property, they will no matter how big or tall the fence -short of the kind used at the state prison! So don't plan on fencing for people, IMO.

So, that leaves 'no fence' for the animals. They won't be slowed by a fence they can jump, but they may 'crash through' one they cannot, so the double barb wire will likely just get torn down, or a tree or two or more will drop on it and take it down.

To mark the property line, mark the trees with line paint, keep a trail brushed out on the line, re-paint every 5 years or so, and have the 'no trespassing' signs (I have better luck with "no trespassing without permission" signs as they appear more friendly to the 'onlooker') along the property line.

Be as friendly with your neighbors as you can, as I find this the best way to get along and not be too paranoid about someone getting on my land. Sometimes I walk on theirs, but never drive on theirs.

You may need to find out what your obligations are in your state or locale, regards line fences. In our state, the landowner is responsible for fencing the right half of the property line when facing the line while standing on your own property.

One or two strands of barbed wire will certainly cut down on the repeat ATV and snowmobiler use. The first decapitation is usually a sufficient deterent to prevent repeat visits.

Though I don't find your comments humorous, Docheb, for the record I TOOK DOWN any barbed wire that was across MY PRIVATE ROADS however, that did not stop rude, disrespectful, trespassers from riding through my woodlands creating their own trails, destroying thousands of dollars of saplings, taking down my other fencing and literally destroying it beyond reuse, tearing down as many NO TRESPASSING & KEEP OUT signs as they could, shooting up the rest, riding their snowmobiles on dirt digging that up also.

If I truly wanted to make them suffer I would use a coyote snare, nab them in the act, stake their *#@%ss to the ground and using their own snowmobiles drive up and down their bodies in the exact same manner as how they did while trespassing on my land, you know give them that real good warm back scratch feeling like they did to my land.

But since I am such a warm fuzzy kind of person, NOT, I'm putting in wireless digital motion sensing cameras to get their inbred foul mugs on record and have the hermaphradites prosecuted.

If that does not work then I'll firmly place a $1.50 high powered bullet right between their inbred eyes and then they'll get the hint.

After all I wouldn't want their jugular slit wide open and spilling their low life scuzzy blood all over my nice land. Then it will become a toxic dump. A bullet hole is easier to plug with gum. Maybe if I place it just right it will ricochet all around inside their helmet stirr things up a bit, OH that's right there isn't anything in there to stirr.

Maybe if I steak the remains of their carcass on the fence line with my NO TRESPASSING sign nailed into their skull the others like him will reconsider the thoughts of destroying private property and commiting a felony?

Get my drift!!

Would a 4' high tensile 3 to 5 wire fence work for you? Posts can be spread out about 1 every 100'. That would decrease the cost a great deal, and the wire is not that expensive.

I am thinking of doing this along the 1200' of frontage on my property. I am tired of kids in Pickups doing lawnjobs and getting stuck on my land.

Something like this:
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Thanks Gatorboy, It's nice to see someone who understands. Hey is that your land-nice-real nice.
    Well, here goes, went up to the mountain today, had a five run barbed wire fence downed by a moose. Poor thing lost a few hairs.
    I hate the thought of restricting wildlife travel, but the barbed isn't going to cut it with big moose.
    I know if I don't put something, the hunters, atv, snowmo, and the like will use the "daahhh I didn't see any sign" and as I've told the "town crier" I am going to live here, raise livestock and a family, if anybody shoots at us I will consider it assault with a deadly weapon and shoot the bas&*%# dead.

They have this primative attitude here that you can buy all the land you want but have to allow everyone to do what ever they want on it, NOT.

I like your fence and suggestion but it will cost mucho $ repairing the moose run ins and the wire cutter carrying moron.

I have that kind of fence for the livestock.
    Do you have any wildlife damage from deer running into it?
    Do you find that it limits the amount of wildlife flow?

We really like the remote location and wildlife and short of pecking off each felon with the 7mm I've got to come up with something.

Thanks, Bettlebrain

opps, sorry Gatorboy, "...you're thinking of doing that..."
    Well, nice land anyway.
    1,200 feet sounds like my frontage, the rest is a killer though.
    Ideas welcomed.

You may find my response lacking in humour, but it's humourless tone appropriately matches the suggestion of stringing a single wire fence.

I have no sympathies for trespassers. I do have sympathies for landowners in a revengeful mindset so desperate that they run a single strand of wire - because they will lose in court for generating a "booby-trap" - despite the illegality of the tresspasser's actions.

We passed up a dream piece of land 5 years ago - 80 acres, nice pond, great homesite, mature oaks, rolling hills. The price was unbelievable. The local teens (and a local group of adult riders!) had adopted it as their dirt-bike track, and the seller admitted he couldn't keep them out. Brush piles around the periphery suffered from "spontaneous combustion". Logs across the trails were built up with soil to make jumps. We realized that if he couldn't keep them out, we wouldn't be able to either, and passed on the property. After we declined, he even told us somebody once RAN A BULLDOZER THROUGH HIS WOODS to make trails. That might drive me to consider your $1.50 solution.

6 wire high tensile fence would probably let you escape a booby-trap charge, and would defend against "mild" trespassers, but with 100 feet between poles, a wirecutter and 6 cuts is all that's between the true scum and "their" new 100 foot gate.

I believe the best solution has already been proposed by Beenthere.

That was just a picture I found of high-tensile fencing.

Here is an aerial view of my land from splicing pictures together from Mapquest (when they had links to aerial views) -- and then adding my own property lines onto.

Here is another shot of my frontage I took when I went on a plane ride last Fall.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Ok DocHeb,

Maybe I wasn't specific enough in the first post.

I already own this land. Where there is a potential access point I do NOT have just one strand. I was once an ATV'r & Snowmobiler, however, much more respectful than todays generation and for that matter some of their parents, after all the youth got their "roots" from somewhere.

I WILL HAVE livestock and short of putting a leash on each and every animal common practice is a fence.

I am five miles into the woods on a dirt road, directly accessing 3.5 million acres of "playland".
    My little 150 acres is a joke compared to 3.5 million acres of wilderness which are RIGHT NEXT IN ORDER.

No my land is not the only piece accessing the 3.5 million acres, there is nothing around here for about fifty miles in any direction. Just one small town about ten miles away, this is very very much small tiny country, nothing but trees.

I have NO neighbors, except the wildlife and the one or two scumbag humans who have TOO much time on their hands and want to make it a challenge to travel SO far and screw with "newcomers".

This area townspeople, all 100 of them, LOVE your money in any fashion, but just don't stay so long, and don't think of living here.

Actually, the ignorant attitude runs rampant throughout this entire state. A state representative, in the capital, from one of the agencies involved in "getting permits,etc." said, "I moved my family ten miles to a new home and eighteen years later we are still treated as out of towners"

We are currently renting a home near town, but five miles away, and people try and stop to look into your windows to see what you got, no joke, like you have something special.

I put clear plastic over the garage windows to conceal all the "new home" stuff we are accumulating, you know, that REALLY pissed them off, not being able to see in.

The landlord had a local contractor fix some plumbing, I turned my back for a second and found the guy snooping in my garage, looking around, NO there is no plumbing there, he was done with the job, and no garbage either.

Doc, I do understand what you discribed about that dream piece, but unfortunately this all came out after the fact. Ours too, IS a dream piece, heck our neighbor is 3.5 million acres of wilderness. But unfortunately there are motorized means of getting scum faster around from point a to point b.

NO I would never delibritely hurt and/or injure anyone, who ofcourse is not trying the same on myself and/or my family.

We own our land and have the right to homestead it, to live free from harassment of scumbags, to raise livestock, to enjoy our land without dogdging bullets, to raise a family, etc.

In as much as I would love to NOT spend any money and/or time on fencing, it is needed for livestock and I do pray will somehow be a deterent to the one or two pieces of **** who feel they need to spend their $2 a gallon gas traveling far into the woods to screw with someone.

My only NOW neighbor, we're renting, says a photo won't work for prosecution, I showed him the days newspaper with an article of a town one hour away using bloodhounds now. The burglaries we getting out of hand so they purchased a bloodhound, the dog led the police through town and right to the criminals apartment door where they found the latest stolen goods and other goods from previous thiefts. I said to my now neighbor, "...there is more than one way to skin a cat..."

I also mentioned to him that thanks to some checks and balances, if the "local" law enforcement does not want to do their job there are other agencies next in line to implement the law and take over.

Don't let it be said that "city areas are less friendly" We discovered that the kindness of these very tiny towns is from -"give us your money, come spend it here", not from "welcome to the neighborhood".

As mentioned I would like to have something that does not interfere with wildlife movement along the borders and is also a formadable deterent to the one or two scumbags. No I can't afford a thirty foot tall concrete prison wall, [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I would like something along the borders and where I have livestock I will put up the field fence. Maybe I'm deluded that I will keep out humans, I know that where there is a will there is a way. But I WILL NOT remain locked in our home because of the "potential" of some hunter ignoring the overkill amount of signs posted on our land. I have them about every fifty feet, do the math. Some tripled with keep out, no hunting.

They feel that if they tear off the signs, a felony, they can continue on their merry way through my land and shoot at anything that flinches, NOT.

As a retired corrections officer, I learned that many criminals aren't stupid or dumb, they just screwed up and got caught. So too, in time will the one or two scum destroying property and commiting felonies. Hence, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I welcome any ideas, oh thanks for the "brush" thing. I was going to do that, maybe not now.

Beetlebrain