Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Forest land Fencing ideas?

Re: Need Forest land Fencing ideas?

Hey Gatorboy,

NICE- VERY NICE!!

We are surrounded by millions of acres of trees and wilderness.

Beetlebrain

Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately I can't give any further suggestions for any type of fencing that would keep livestock in, yet let moose go through. Unfortunately it is at your expense, but it is refreshing in a way to finally hear somebody describe the antithesis to the stereotypic "'unwielding city slicker moves to the country' only to clash with the 'living-in-harmony-with-nature we're-all-loving country folk'".

There are scum from the city, and there are scum from the country.

What about putting the posts close together at potential human access points? Say T-posts 3 or 4 feet apart?

We had trouble with 4 wheelers tearing across our hay field at night. I found a 2x6 14 feet long and I drove about a hundred # 60 penny nails through it,I laid this in the ditch where they come and go through.,The next day I was in town and guess what there were a dozen atv tires stacked around the garage being fixed. That worked for a while,the next thing I did was lay out several 30 feet long peices of barbed wire,I left it coiled up across the trails in the tall grass. A few weeks later I came down the road and found 2 guys working on a 4x4 honda foreman with barbed wire wrapped around the front axle. I asked where they found all that wire,they said that it was in the county road but they were going too fast to avoid it. I felt good that day. They still come around ocasionally but not very often,I think they got the point. The nail board is still out there.

Hey Missourihick,
    Nice ideas! Problem is I would need lots of 2x's.
    Last week I approached the very man who sold us the land and he basically threatened that we would always have problems on the land. When we bought the piece we told him we were going to homestead there. He said, "You can't stay home forever, you'll have to leave some time and that's when your house will be vandalized!" He has been blocking up the culverts on the road in to back up the water and ruin the road. Every other day I'll find rocks and boulders dumped in front of the openings. No we don't experience earth quakes.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, these jerks want your money but don't try to live here. 85+% of crimes commited on someone are done by someone you know, funny ehh?
    I think it's time I find a nice cozy spot in the woods to "sit and watch" the brooks so that when our "mistery man" comes around to mess with the culverts I can take some digital photos and give them to DEP for altering a water way, road damage, private property damage, damage to streams, ponds, and fish life. Oh I wouldn't deal with the local law, too many rub elbows together at the local feeding trough, probably grunting about this guys attempts.

Beetlebrain, Don't forget infra-red motion detector controlled cameras sold for determining when and what game passes an area. There are commercial available booby traps that are dead easy to duplicate cheaply. They use a trip wire/string (camo monofilament is hard to see) to fire a blank 12 ga shell. This assumes you would be close enough to hear/localize the unit that went off. This assumes you want to be in proximity to the malefactor.

Imagine the surprise to a skulker who was sure he was undetected when a 12 ga goes off within 100 ft. It would only be more fun if he ran through a couple more while running away.

These 12 ga booby traps can wait patiently for a long time, especially if the blank shell is waterproofed. If it is set off by game, they will be startled but not hurt.

I sympathize with you most strongly. The advantage seems to be on the side of the idiots both in numbers and common practice. You have identified a serious flaw in rural law enforcement. The county mounties and local law probably went to school with, dated the sisters of, and still drink beer with the very idiots you are having problems with. You must be prepared for 100% cooperation and 0% results. We're going to get right on that just as soon as we can...

I have one truly nutso neighbor responsible for a lot of wild rounds singing over the heads of other neighbors. One day he was trespassing on my place in a Samurai, shooting the place up when he took an incoming .30 cal round through the Samurai. He called the county mounty who came right out and questioned all the neighbors. The folks complaining about his wild shooting don't get such good service! Anyway one of the neighbors is a lad who when asked if he shot at the BOZO replied, "No sir, if I'd of shot at him I'd have hit him!" This communicated the idea to me that he was stating rather plainly that the shot wasn't supposed to have hit the BOZO. The neighbor doesn't drive on my property any more and is a bit safer in his shooting practices, especially since I had a lawyer write him a letter regarding the fact that shooting onto or over someones property is tresspass. He even started using a box of sand as a backstop instead of totally useless cordwood.

Best of luck to you. It isn't a simple situation and there aren't any simple solutions. Trying to get action from a layer of law enforcement above the local yokels is a good idea, especially if it works.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Pat,

Well this past friday 4-30 at about 7pm an atv and dirt biker tore down all my five strand run barbed wire fence, about 1/4 mile of it. They broke my posts, dragged my spaggetti mess through the woods and ruined a lot of hard work. Funny thing is that the creep neighbor and I had that not so nice discussion last week or so where he threatened my home would be vandalized when we build and leave. I called and included both the local game warden and the state police from fifty miles away. They punks left beer cans everywhere with hopefully useful prints and anything else. My neighbor likes to think that he is the godfather, never gets his own hands dirty, just drops the right words in the ears of rednecks knowing how to set them off on his mission. I think that they, well he, using idiots is just trying to be rid of any one homesteading here. We have searched for a couple of years, and this beutiful mountain land is gravel dry, flat, views, wildlife, peaceful and quiet. We have noticed that this neighbor creep keeps very close tabs on our movements. Nothing nor any one ever goes near the land when I'm up there, even if I walked. He knows when I walk or drive up there. I have been trying to pray for guidence on this, need time to ponder. Hey, do you have any links or sites for the "noise" makers? Thanks for your kind thoughts

Do a google on 12 ga booby trap and you will get some links.

Here is one...

Privacy personal alarms, sensors, motion detectors, personal ...
    ... BOOBY TRAP ALARM. ... Mounts anywhere with 2 screws. Activated by pressure on trip
    wire, which releases the firing pin, firing the 12 ga. blank cartridge. ...
    gear4locks.com/Privacy/alarms.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

I suppose the "godfather" might not recognize you in a ghillie suit or if you conspicuously left in daylight and returned in the dark on foot or wore sunglasses and a baseball style cap with phony pony tail hanging down from the back. If he can see your property well enough to watch the BOZOS at work, put on a show for him. Vandalize the heck out of a small section of your own fence if it is in his view to establish yourself as one of the BOZOS then do something to mess with his mind.

There are several ways to mess with his mind: temperarily go out of his sight, fire off a few loud rounds of ammo then hoist a lifelike dummy, dressed identically to your BOZO persona, with a rope and let it twist in the wind. You have many options: 1. skulk away and return as yourself, discover the hoisted BOZO and beat the **** out of it with a club, axe, or whatever maybe a few well placed 12 ga rounds then cut it down, dig a hole, and burry it all the while looking around to see if anyone is watching.

This is not intended to be a script but illustrative of the sort of ruses you could employ. Imagine the results if the GODFATHER called the law and reported your murderous act. With a little imagination you could probably devise a truly ingenious plot that would have the Godfather reporting the landing of space aliens, virgin sacrifices, satanic cult gatherings, or whatever. If it appeared that you surprised a 4-wheeler and set him and his machine on fire, accompanied by hideous shrieks and the appearance of a 4-wheeler on fire, the Godfather most likely would report you to the law with the ultimate effect of being discredited.

How do you burn a 4 wheler? The real 4-wheeler goes out of sight and perhaps gets a camo net and or prepared branches tossed over it. A wire frame model (bent coathangers and cardboard) with a fair profile resemblance) is unfolded and burned. At twilight he would see what he expected to see not what was actually there.

All this could be great fun if it weren't potentially dangerous. I would be inclined to build something to attract the attentions of the neerdowells, a small but strong section of fence with a gate or whatever, and set up a camera to film their acts of vandalism. Infrared motion detector technology will make your actual prescence on scene not a requirement.

Does the Godfather have a phone and do you suspect he uses it to contact his stooges? Perhaps you could interest the states attourney on a wiretap based on probable cause in a criminal conspiracy investigation. Isn't conspiracy to commit a crime a felony? The Godfather might incriminate himself while instructing his stoodges. It would be icing on the prosecutor's cake if any of the local law types were involved.

Good luck,

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"