Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shock Collars for dog training

Re: Shock Collars for dog training

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice regarding the shock collar. It sounds like it will work for me. So, on to the next question - where's a good place to get one and are some brands better than others?

I bought mine from Cabela's. Don't remember the brand, and It's packed away so I can't get to it right now. I do remember that the collar unit has a rechargable battery and it has a magnetic operated switch to turn it on and off. The magnet is built into the transmitter. You just pass the transmitter case across the collar unit.

I've had it for better than eight years and haven't used it in seven.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

TriTronics is a good brand, but other brands are less expensive. You can order from their web site, and you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I got mine (the Sport 50) from a gun store, and have seen them at several outdoorsman-type businesses, because they are commonly used training field dogs. The Sport 50 is adjustable, which is a useful feature.

ebays a cheap place to try. just a note on this chicken chasing thing and if your not actually going to train her with it and only use it for the chicken thing. if u have any other dogs make sure not to use it while the dog who has it on is near any other dog or kid. if u use it when there is another dog close to her the initial shock may cause her to attack the other dog as she might think the pain is from somehting around her. there a great tool the best way is to teach her to sit with it first. u have to teach the dog how to understand how to turn off the shock. example. when u first get it u should set it on the lowest setting and just let your dog walk around then nick her with it untill u notice a slight reaction from your dog. then u know where it needs to be set. no need to knock in her down with it. if she allready knows how to sit the better. you should then hold down the continuous shock and ask her to sit ask her to sit first then seconds later shock her when she sits u stop shocking her. she must learn that she can turn off the shock by doing what she is asked. some thing with come. you would ask her to come and shock her continuously untill she is at your feet. she learns by getting to u fast she can stop the shock. the sit one is better dont over do it with the come thing or she could get shy and never want to leave your side. once she understands how she can turn off the shock u can then use what most collars call the nick feature. which just gives a short 1/4 second pulse. to get her attention or to remind her your talking to her. i would teach her the no command for the chicken thing. i would use no first with a good nick then ask her to come with the continuos shock. and if she does come to u dont hit or yell at her give her praise. you could just zap the crap out of her when she chases the chickens as soon as u get the collar but she'll just hate the chickens even more. i'd catch the chicken and show it to her and pet both at the same time but if she's tasted blood it's to late for them to become friends.

Hi,
    My son is a policeman, also a k-9 officer. He is the taser instructer for the department. Everybody, including him has to be tased so they know what it is like.
    Koolaide

We trained our Brittany on the invisble fence. I bought it on-line from;
    http://www.radiofence.com
    Really nice kit, we follow the instructions and training went perfect! Took about two weeks. Even with an active Brittany pup. Now he doesn't even need his collar on anymore, he know exactly where his limit is. He stops and will lay down as he approaches the wire, even with the collar off. I did test the collar myself. The collar we got has five differnt shock levels. We had to set it to the highest setting, otherwise my dog just didn't get. It does pack a punch, but he figured it out quick. The big thing to rember is that a REALLY stubborn dog will still BUST through them, and they dont keep kids or other dogs out.

About the chicken thing......I met a fella over in west central Illinois who ran a lumber yard where he milled telephone poles into lumber. He had a couple shepards and a bunch of chickens. I asked him if he ever had any problems with the dogs and chickens. He said that he had, but only once.
    Now folks this was his story not mine...He took the chicken that his dog killed and taped the dead chicken to his dogs neck and left it there for weeks until it started to rot, then finally took it off. The dog never bothered the chickens again. My wife a 100% city girl was horrified. This was a new one to me. I never ceases to amaze me (and not always in a positive way) what people will think up and do.

-dave

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    He took the chicken that his dog killed and taped the dead chicken to his dogs neck and left it there for weeks until it started to rot, then finally took it off. The dog never bothered the chickens again. My wife a 100% city girl was horrified. This was a new one to me. I never ceases to amaze me (and not always in a positive way) what people will think up and do.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an old time method for keeping dogs from bothering livestock. I hear it almost always works.