Thread: Field Corn Question

Field Corn Question

I have about 5 acres that I want to plant some yellow field corn on. I always buy corn to supplement my goats hay during the winter months so I thought just for fun I would raise some corn myself. Here is my question. Would the feed corn purchased from Tractor Supply work? I planted a handful in a pot to make sure that it would germinate and it did. My concern is that it is possibly a hybrid that might not make anything. The day that I bought the corn the district manager for the local Tractor Supply was there at the store and I asked him. His reply was that it would not make as good a crop as seed bought at the co-op but it would make. Any input from you guys?
    Brent Pepper
    In God We Trust

Re: Field Corn Question

Feed corn will make a crop...Seed corn will make a better crop. Either should work for what you are doing.

Ask at your local CoOp for last years seed...sometimes they have a little left over...cheaper than new stock!!

or

Look around your area...is there a Quail Unlimited chapter close by..they usually have seed corn donated to them for wildlife plots, etc....just agree to leave some corn in your fields for the critters!!

GareyD

I am planting some feed corn in my wildlife plots. Do you need to add a fungicide, or some other treatment at the time of planting?

If you use a good certifiied seed corn this will already be done. If you are just using regular corn seed you will just have to watch it.