Thread: How much work 2 sheep?

How much work 2 sheep?

I've been offered (free) 2 lambs...I have about 2/3rds fenced (split rail) old horse pasture with a small-ish stable. The horse is long gone. My question(s) are:
    Is 2/3 acre enough?
    Is a four foot split rail high enough? Do I need wire mesh also (as if I might be fencing for a dog)?
    What kind of food supplement might be needed? Would it only be nec'y if there wasn't enough grass?
    What other upkeep might I be looking at (sheering - how often, etc)
    To be sure, I'd be taking these on a whim! Don't want to do a disservice to the critters...want to go into it with eyes wide open.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: How much work 2 sheep?

Richard -- A lot depends on the breed of sheep. For 2, that size lot is okay. But some can get most of the nutrients they need from graze (like my Icelandics) while other breeds require timothy, grain, supplements etc. That fencing won't do either. Not only will they get out, but the biggest problem in my experience is other critters getting in. Sheep are about the most cowardly animals imaginable, and dogs just love to run them. Sometimes to death.

Shearing you can learn to do yourself, especially if you're not worried about the quality of the fleece, but yes it is necessary. Are they both the same gender? If not, are you ready to lamb yourself next year? And I'm not sure where you live, but vets that care for pets generally don't do livestock, so make sure you have that angle covered as well.

Sheep can be a lot of fun, especially when you get them young enough to hand tame. But they can grow into troubled teens just like kids. Charlie, our ram lamb, became so aggressive toward my wife that he, well, let's just say he's not a ram anymore! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

There's plenty of good information on the Web, much of it breed-specific. I'd start by learning all I could about that breed. Good luck! Pete