Thread: Plumbing - galvanized pipe vs copper

Plumbing - galvanized pipe vs copper

I need to replace my water pressure regulator, which has gone bad. The main water line coming in from the meter is 3/4" black somewhat flexible plastic, then it goes to the regulator which uses 3/4" pipe fittings, then goes to 3/4" copper to the rest of the plumbing in the house. I want to add a shutoff valve (ball valve) and a "T", then put 2 more shutoff valves and 2 regulators, then hook one regulator to the copper. The other regulator will be capped off for now and I plan to add another bathroom and have it on a separate regulator so when someone is in the shower of one bathroom and someone flushes the toilet in the other it won't affect the person taking a shower.

So, would I be better off to use pipe fittings for the shutoff valves and "T", then adapt it to the copper, or would it be better to convert to copper right away and then do the shutoff valves and "T" all in copper?

When I add the new bathroom, I'm probably going to use plastic and glue, but I'll stick with the copper that's there now since it's not worth the effort to change it all over and it's not leaking.

Re: Plumbing - galvanized pipe vs copper

It didn't occur to me when I first read your post, but you do not want to mix copper and galvanized in any installation. Choose equivalent PVC or copper, but don't add galvanized to the mix. Understand that chem reaction between galvanized and copper is unacceptable. Someone else may be able to explain the technical details, but I was always told to not mix copper and galvanized fitting and pipes in the same installation.

If I recall correctly, jumping from galvanzied to copper requires use of a special fitting.

Steve

Proper shower hardware has anti-scald valves incorporated. My mom's house has 3 baths and dishwasher and clothes washer. There is no combination of flushing toilets or using appliances that causes a problem for someone in the shower.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"