Thread: Cost Of Saw Mill Lumber

Cost Of Saw Mill Lumber

Just wondering the costs of lumber from other areas.
    I found a saw mill near me (15 miles) that has:
    Cherry .60bf
    Oak .60 bf
    Walnut .60bf
    Cedar .60bf
    Poplar .40bf
    Pine .40bf

He will saw my logs for .20bf.
    Are these good prices?
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Re: Cost Of Saw Mill Lumber

What grade are those prices for? Whether it is a good price depends on what you think is good and are willing to pay, not anyone else's opinion sight unseen (IMO). They are great prices if it is the right thickness, width, and length that you want for whatever use you have, and if the boards are FAS grade, and if the thickness is uniform, and if these are 'kiln dry lumber' prices, with no drying defect, and uniform moisture content. So many "details" that enter into your question; "are these good prices?" But, you have my permission to pay that price. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The sawing price for your logs is 1/3 less than I would expect to pay for "good" sawing. The 20 cents may indicate the sawing isn't very good, and I would be wary of taking my logs to this operation. Now, in fact, that may not be true, and you again will have to make that decision. We can't do it for you. Sorry. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

It's not what I would call a "professional" saw mill. The mill is an old-timey setup, run by a large tractor; right now an "M". Great big circular blade, gotta be at least 3 or 4 feet.
    The man is rich and doesn't need the money from sales.
    He has about 12-15 BIG old tractors. When one breaks down, he hauls it off to a shed and brings in another tractor for power.

This is lumber straight from the saw. Well, sort of. A lot of it went straight into hacks for drying.
    It's all rough-sawn. He has dry and green wood, same price. Most of the wood is 4/4 to 8/4. Some boards are 20 feet long.
    It is air-dried under hugh sheds.
    Some of the walnut has been in a barn for 30 years.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I picked up some fence boards last weekend for $4. I think that is good for rough cut 1X6X16 boards. Since it was rough cut most of the boards were 16'6" or greater.

Steve

I hauled in some logs last year to get sawed and they charged me $.17 bd ft. northeast Missouri, big professional commercial sawmill.